regarding heel protectors

Josh

however, when I was a newer newb they were nearly essetial b/c of the way I mistakenly tried to implement what I thought was good technique...I would go through one pair at ever standard lesson...I still use alot of foot pressure and I think it not only saves my shoes somewhat but also makes them less likely to slide when I hit a seam in the comp florr...
Out of curiosity, what were you doing that you thought was good technique, and what are you doing differently?

I've been using the "suede stars" for a while now, and they've made a world of difference in my heel tips! Of course, not exactly the prettiest on my tan shoes, hehe! On my black shoes, I use black suede and black electrical tape. Can't really see unless you're looking for it. On my tan shoes, I use tan suede, and some weird "flesh" colored medical tape, that doesn't match at all. Need to find some truly flesh colored tape with just a smidge of stretch. Plain scotch tape works, just harder to get it good and tight though.
Try using clear medical tape. That's what I use on mine and it's not as visible as white or other colored.

I've recently started using the suede stars. I was using the plastic caps before, but they wore out soo unevenly and soo quickly. So I switched, and the suede stars definately last longer. It's funny, when I was a newbie and for a long time as a beginner, I never wore the caps and never had to worry about replacing them. Now, if I use those now, I easily go through a pair every couple practices, where the suede ones last me weeks (and they're cheaper :))

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Out of curiosity, what were you doing that you thought was good technique, and what are you doing differently?
well, when I was a total newb I tended to cut a huge line on the floor moving from my feather to my heel turn and then did my heel turn quite litterally on my heel only...it was hell on the right outer heel tip......uh, now well, I am less violent about it...and certainly not back into my heel as much as before;)

anp73ga31

Bought them online...now, mind you, they are for standard shoes(supadance) that have slim heels. I dont remember the exact place I got them from...when I go home I can look for my receipt and PM you. But in the meantime, if you do an online search for "plastic heel savers with suede tips" it will pull the websites up that sell them. They come 5 pairs in a box for $30 or something like that. I dont know if the other brands sell them, though, and I dont know if they make them for flared latin shoes. I just use the regular plastic ones without suede on my latin shoes and have never had problems. But thats just me...I like being able to pop the plastic ones on and off and not having to make my own(I'm not creative and time is an issue for me)...plus at my studio they glow an eerie purple when I'm at the dance parties and they have the blacklights on and the regular lights down low. hee hee!

latingal

Actually the ones with the suede seem to last a lot longer but I have not been able to find them. Where did you get the box of them?
Actually I ordered mine online directly from www. supadance.com (in the accessories/shoe care section of the website) stargazer. Yes, they ship them from England, but I found the service to be quite quick (and I just order three boxes at a time and I'm good).

anp73ga31

personal preference, I suppose...

I have always seen alot of the plastic heel protectors used at competitions and social dances so I've never found them unsightly. Just my opinion, of course, but I think the tape looks worse. Again, though, its all personal preference.... :)

I don't know, but i have never seen the tape used. If anybody has a picture they would like to show me of that sort of heel protector that would be very welcome. I've almost always worn the plastic heel protectors on my ballroom shoes but my teacher has never let me wear them on my Latin shoes..

Actually I was wondering whether those high-level dancers wear heel protectors, and if yes, what kind. I have watched videos such as IDSF competitions carefully and these ladies do not seem to wear them? Or not noticeable at all?

Has anyone tried the Supadance heel protectors with suede on the bottom? Are they comfortable? Do they feel different/better/worse than the regular heel protectors?

I haven't been using heel protectors because I didn't like the feel of the rubber at first, but my heels have suffered and I definitely need caps now. I was thinking of using them for both my latin and standard shoes. The reason I'm looking at the suede is because I tend to wear away my heels unevenly on the outside (darn supination) so I was hoping the suede would help with the stabilization a bit.

hereKittyKitty

Administrator
Staff member
the suede is great- it helps to prevent the heel protector itself from wearing down. Also it makes the heel protector more soft, rather than hard plastic sticking to the floor.

Dance Ads