Rumba Cross question

tangotime

For the man and lady, I'm curious about the foot that crosses. How much spin occurs on the ball of that foot?

Technically it's a Pivot action, the amount may vary ..Which also prompts the question about a " Spin " turn, when the first half is a pivot .Pivot and Spin would create a better mental image . ( Like check and weave )

Last edited:
Technically it's a Pivot action, the amount may vary ..Which also prompts the question about a " Spin " turn, when the first half is a pivot .Pivot and Spin would create a better mental image . ( Like check and weave )
Thank you for your reply. That is one of those things I should have known but maybe never posed this question exactly this way.

Dr Dance

The OP referenced the foot that crosses. For the leader, that would be the right foot crossing behind. My amount of "spin" varies depending upon the figure that follows. If I wish to under turn the figure 270 degrees to follow with a tipsy or tipple, my foot and my hooking foot are roughly parallel when the cross happens. If I want to turn the rumba cross completely around to do a full 360 degrees to follow with a forward lock step, I shall place my foot at a right angle to my left foot (toes inward) to better facilitate a stronger and longer spin.

There IS a pivoting action. But this doesn't happen until the man changes weight to his left foot as he is spinning. His left foot is the foot that pivots.

Dance Ads