Salsa summer splash at Doral resort !?

Beto

vey said:
Has anybody been there before or heard anything about it?

Is sounds interesting...

http://www.dancefreak.com/summer/index.htm
I've been to their winter events for New Year's (2002-2003 and 2003-2004) but never to their summer events. I've heard that the summer version's okay but if I had to describe the winter event I'd say it's more like a stripped down version of a dance congress. Or a congress-type event.

vey

SalsaGeek said:
I am going to this one!!!
I have to admit, I'm also seriously tempted to go :wink:

Pacion, sorry I missed it in DF's thread, I'm on Edie's email list and just got the email today...

vey said:

Is sounds interesting...

I've never been to any of the events in Palm Springs, but I have friends that have, and the majority were not very impressed. If you wanna go to ANY salsa events on the West Coast definitly invest your money on the LA Salsa Congress (West Coast Salsa Congress). It's by far the best salsa event that I have gone to. I have never seen so many dancers in one venue in my life! It's INSANE! Every Salsero/Salsera must go there at least once in there life. It's an amazing experience! Hope I was able to help take care. :D

Beto

Mama Salsera said:
vey said:

Is sounds interesting...

I've never been to any of the events in Palm Springs, but I have friends that have, and the majority were not very impressed. If you wanna go to ANY salsa events on the West Coast definitly invest your money on the LA Salsa Congress (West Coast Salsa Congress). It's by far the best salsa event that I have gone to. I have never seen so many dancers in one venue in my life! It's INSANE! Every Salsero/Salsera must go there at least once in there life. It's an amazing experience! Hope I was able to help take care. :D
I have to agree. The Palm Springs events are nothing compared to the congress events. If given a choice, head to the congress in May and skip the PS event in August.

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Mama Salsera said:
vey said:

Is sounds interesting...

Welcome to the Dance Forums Mama Salsera! :D

Yes, for those traveling to SoCal, keep in mind that the West Coast Congress is *the* largest salsa congress in the world! The one disadvbantage, at times, is that for those trying to do take the workshops, seeing the instructors has been quite a challenge some years. But as far as almost non-stop salsa music and a veritable army of potential partners, there's no comparing relative to the Palm Spring events.

vey

thank you guys for your feedback :!:

well the thing with me - I really don't like crowds and salsa congress have to be damn well organized for me to enjoy it - performances have to be visible for the audience (unlike at the recent chicago congress), workshops not overcrowded - which often happends at big events...etc

I think what I'm looking for is a small-scale salsa event like a salsa bootcamp or smth, with good workshops and some night dancing and it has to be at a nice place where you can also relax. So I was wondering whether this Palm Springs event could be it.... :?:

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been to one of the Palm Springs events myself, but given what you're looking for they might just fit the bill for you quite well!

vey said:
thank you guys for your feedback :!:

well the thing with me - I really don't like crowds and salsa congress have to be damn well organized for me to enjoy it - performances have to be visible for the audience (unlike at the recent chicago congress), workshops not overcrowded - which often happends at big events...etc

I think what I'm looking for is a small-scale salsa event like a salsa bootcamp or smth, with good workshops and some night dancing and it has to be at a nice place where you can also relax. So I was wondering whether this Palm Springs event could be it.... :?:
I've been to both the Summer and New Year events at Palm Springs. All the times I went 2 it, i had a blast. But that was partly b/c I went w/ a group of friends who were also performing. So we had fun eatin',drinkin, and dancing.

This is a small-scale salsa event (compared 2 chicago congress) and its all in 1 resort (w/o the massive crowds). You can easily see the performances and the workshops are usually not overcrowded (there are exceptions here and there).

If u do go, though, I highly recommend that you bring a group (or meet a group) of friends. To me, thats what makes this event fun!!

aragonh said:
If u do go, though, I highly recommend that you bring a group (or meet a group) of friends. To me, thats what makes this event fun!!
How about just grasping life by the hands and going by oneself so that one is forced to speak to and dance with "strangers" :wink: :banana:

vey

thanks, aragonh, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :wink:

Now I have to build a little group of people to go with me :lol:

vey

Pacion said:
aragonh said:
How about just grasping life by the hands and going by oneself so that one is forced to speak to and dance with "strangers" :wink: :banana:
Now, that's another option (that is if I'm not able to build a group of people :wink: )

Pacion said:
Thats also true, but I'll save that for the Big Salsa Events. In fact, thats what i did for the Chicago Congress :lol: :p

I hope the new all-Salsa format means that the silly competition going on between the two events will be dying off. Whatever the reasons for the event promoters splitting up to begin with, running two events with basically identical formats on the same dates in the same city was not helpful for the dancers.

It seems a natural outcome for the salsa dancers to gravitate to Torres' event, and the swing dancers to Byam's - and if the New Year's version of Byam's event is any indication, that's already happening.

jon said:
I hope the new all-Salsa format means that the silly competition going on between the two events will be dying off. Whatever the reasons for the event promoters splitting up to begin with, running two events with basically identical formats on the same dates in the same city was not helpful for the dancers.

It seems a natural outcome for the salsa dancers to gravitate to Torres' event, and the swing dancers to Byam's - and if the New Year's version of Byam's event is any indication, that's already happening.
I agree w/ that.
I also thought it was pretty sleazy on Al & Edie's part to ALSO do a masquerade ball after the other people 1st announced it.

Beto

aragonh said:
jon said:

I agree w/ that.
I also thought it was pretty sleazy on Al & Edie's part to ALSO do a masquerade ball after the other people 1st announced it.
I think I was lucky in regards to the fact that I attended BEFORE Jay/Molly and Al/Edie split their events up. You got the best of both worlds in 02/03 and 03/04's events. From what I heard, and much like last year's 2 Puerto Rico congresses, both events suffered a bit for New Year's last year and some people wound up having to travel from one hotel to the other as opposed to walking from one ballroom to the next.

Beto said:
I think I was lucky in regards to the fact that I attended BEFORE Jay/Molly and Al/Edie split their events up. You got the best of both worlds in 02/03 and 03/04's events. From what I heard, and much like last year's 2 Puerto Rico congresses, both events suffered a bit for New Year's last year and some people wound up having to travel from one hotel to the other as opposed to walking from one ballroom to the next.
I was there during those times also. It was cool, but I stayed 99.9% on the Salsa Side.

There were 2 Puerto Rican Congresses?? I did not know that. All I know about is the Bacardi Congress (PR), when was the other 1 :?: :?:

Dance Ads