Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
At then end of Fellowship, Boromir got savaged by orcs. Merry and Pip(pin) were abducted. Frodo and Sam set off to Mordor/Mt Doom. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli set off to kill orcs. Everything was unresolved, but it felt good.
Cliff hanger, plain and simple.

Yeah, I remember Leonard Nimoy's book, "I am not Spock." Actors are actors, they don different skins all the time. Fans are much more slow-witted: we still see them as a previous character, not as the current character. I personally feel that Bruce Willis suffers most from being type-cast as an action hero type. I've seen his comedy work and know that he has so much more potential, but he's trapped in an action-hero stereotype.

As I said, I have seen a stage production of "Les Miserable" and it does not contain any straight dialogue. If a film version is produced that is meant to follow the stage production, then why should we expect any straight dialogue from it either?

Perhaps curiously so, your concern about it translating well to the TV screen reminds me of a very apt scene in Hermann Hesse's Der Steppenwolf. Harry Haller, the self-proclaimed "wolf of the Steppes", the "Steppenwolf", abhors all modernity, including the much diminished music coming over the radio. So in the Magic Theater, he is confronted with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart himself trying to tune in the radio to hear his own music from Die Zauberflöte, The Magic Flute. The Steppenwolf thinks that the sounds on the radio are tantamount to being sacrilegious, whereas Mozart assures him that the music is immortal and will transcend whatever medium it is transmitted over. So what is it? Schein oder Sein, "mere appearance or actual substance"? Any art that depends completely on how it's transmitted is unworthy. Only art that transcends its medium is worthy.
I must meet you, some day.
Saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid (sprog's choice) never has a film left me feeling so nauseated. Do American kids really get off on humiliating each other so much?
At least in Malcolm in the Middle, there was a degree of humour, and intelligence, and wackiness. But this could have been written by Beckett or Pinter...

There were two Wimpy Kid movies. I saw both, so I can't distinguish one from the other in my memory. I think you're talking about Rodrick Rules, the one that features Rodrick, the sadistic older brother. No, American kids do not get off on humiliating each other any more than kids anywhere else do. That's (supposed to be) the humor of the books and movies. The main character, Greg, is the Wimpy Kid trying to survive in an over-the-top, exaggerated, cut-throat middle school world. It's very sophomoric American humor. Even more sophomoric than the usual American humor. *grin*

There was a similar TV show. I can't remember what it was called. Umm... something like How to Survive the Eighth Grade. Similar idea. Middle school is supposed to be fun and safe but, especially if you're a nerd, it's a cutthroat world.

ETA: I googled, but all I found was references to yet another show on the same topic: Ned's Declassified: School Survival Guide. Same idea. Nerd trying to survive in the jungle that is an American middle school.

Saw "Gangster Squad" on the weekend...wanted to gouge my brain out with a dull spoon. What on earth possessed me...though must admit, had great style and some good acting. Sean Penn was creepily evil incarnate...
Bells Are Ringing, Deer Hunter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Manchurian Candidate, Kiss of the Spider Woman, French Connection, Bullitt, Philadelphia Story, It Happened One Night, Double Indemnity, Taxi Driver, Wuthering Heights, Duck Soup, Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, Taps, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Arsenic and Old Lace, name a few. Clearly my desert island better have a video store.
This was fun.

Do you mean the original movie with Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey? I haven't seen that in years. It's been so long that I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to whether I even liked it. The last time I saw it I was like twelve and I saw it on a sad little TV. I'm a pretty big fan of musicals, though, so what the heck. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Oh yeah and welcome to the forums, litonbarman. :)

I saw Cabaret when it came out in 1972 and then again the next year in München, dubbed into German. I'm not sure whether I've seen it since.

The dubbing made at least one scene odd. When he first meets Sally and she can't speak German so she's stumbling through her broken German until she finally bursts into English asking him for a cigarette. But of course dubbed in German that sounded a bit odd. They kept the original voices in the songs, which were subtitled with some changes, such as "too much pills and liquor" becoming "zu viel Pillen und Ficken" ("too much pills and sex").

Dance Ads