Showcase chat...

samina

i've mixed tango & samba in a showcase routine before...works great, a fave combo of mine, but it was music driven: "love this music, what can we do with it?"

it is definitely possible to find music that would work with both. maybe listen to some interesting alternative tango tunes. peaches could be a resource for this... :)

samina

I have an instructor who likes to do this (mix 2 songs)... I'm not a fan because I feel it interrupts the flow of the dance, esp. when you only have 2 minutes to perform anyway. He mixed together a merengue and a samba and tried to get me to do that for Showcase. I said no and we stuck with the samba I had picked out. The judge awarded us a rhythm "best in show" for the routine. :)
fwiw, in showcases i have tended to mix styles within the same song, and even to include passages of waltz and VW in 4/4, allowing the rhythm of dancing to cross measures in the rhythm of music. i find it interesting and musical to do so.

or rather, my instructor at the time would choreograph very capably & creatively in this manner... i was just along for the ride, and enjoyed the choreo & music very much.

Dance Ads