Showcase chat...

samina

added another lift and more dramatic samba rolls... arabesque spin... a bit of an AT close embrace thing... and the dramatic context for the dance, which is sweet... i can hardly believe i'm doing this... for someone who spent most of her life wildly inhibited when it comes to dancing & performing, this is a marvel to me...

samina

two, one which feels "bigger" to me because only my left arm is around his shoulder and all the rest is trying to look graceful in the air in some fashion, and the other which is lower to the ground, with my left leg wrapped around his middle somehow and my other leg hanging. i can't imagine how either of these could possibly look good... but i'm doing my best.:rolleyes:

right now the hardest things for me to get are the samba rolls and the spinning arabesque...

samina

well... don't be premature on that... lol... i feel like i'm executing much of the routine like a drunken troll... that's not quite the impression i want to make... ;)

NielsenE

Finally finished choreography for my VW showcase. First showing is June 1, at the studio, then in competition in August.

3 lifts, several tricks, lots of "real" dancing. I'm happy with the routine. Wish I could have pulled off the originally choreographed end-lift, but lacked the strength for basically an overhead press lift... Its been replaced with a simpler lift, still nice, but lacking some of the impact. Got me heading to the gym more regularly so I don't have to wimp out next time :)

reb

added another lift and more dramatic samba rolls... arabesque spin... a bit of an AT close embrace thing... and the dramatic context for the dance, which is sweet... i can hardly believe i'm doing this... for someone who spent most of her life wildly inhibited when it comes to dancing & performing, this is a marvel to me...
Samina - lifts - this is great!

The lady has to look graceful while performing her part of a serious strength role. Glad I have only the simple part!

Here's a general question to all:

what's the shortest time you worked on a routine before performing it (please give # of hours practiced, what dance it was, and success or not)?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
well, uh...TWO weeks ago pro and I decided to do a bolero showcase THIS weekend...and we had a comp last week...I would say that by the time we do it we will have put a whopping 12 hours into it...actually, it's looking pretty good...go figure

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
lol...there is NO way it's happening in my world...don't get me wrong he's really buff but, uh...well, check size comparison in avatar...again, I continue to propose that I lift him....it STILL isn't going over very well

samina

lol...there is NO way it's happening in my world...don't get me wrong he's really buff but, uh...well, check size comparison in avatar...again, I continue to propose that I lift him....it STILL isn't going over very well
lol... my own pro does a latin showcase with one of his students where she lifts him... actually, at the start of the routine she jumps into his arms and he holds her (she's larger than he is), and then at the very end he jumps into her arms... it's quite adorable.

samina

Here's a general question to all:

what's the shortest time you worked on a routine before performing it (please give # of hours practiced, what dance it was, and success or not)?
i would imagine it has a lot to do with the sort of stuff you already have under your belt, which you can leverage for a routine. me... ttt!... hardly anything... not the sort that can rummage something up quickly like fasc, or nik (same day??? omg...)...

Dance Ads