Snotty Subculture

Welcome!
My experience is that most teachers do dance with their beginner students, but mostly at practicas, not at milongas, unless it is a quite milonga, or at the very beginning of a milonga before the floor becomes crowded.

One of the differences I've noticed between the local AT and salsa scenes is that in tango the teachers rarely (if ever) seem to dance with their beginner students when they're out social dancing, where it's expected that the salsa teachers will at least occasionally dance with their beginner students. Is this common?

opendoor

....me standing around kinda lost, and asked me for a dance, and after the first few bars she asked in a very surprised/incredulous tone "You know how to dance tango?"
Do you already know these Tango Rules?
  1. Tango dancers are great respecters of salsa, so compliment your partner by saying 'I can tell you dance great mambo'. Enjoy the gratitude and respect that will flow in your direction as a result.
  2. Pugliesi - an ugly Argentinian dog - now a colloquial term used describe tango music that is challenging to dance to - 'Ah, this is pugliesi' people say. Use the term whenever you hear a track you dislike.
  3. Tango has its roots in peasant dancing. Demonstrate your awareness of this by spitting on the dancefloor between tandas.
  4. Dancing a full tanda is a special reward given by a leader who considers that the follower has understood his most intricate and difficult tango patterns. To abandon the follower mid-tanda is a respectful way to encourage her to develop her skills so that more intricate patterns will not be messed up in future.
  5. The heel of the follower's shoe is designed with a sharp outer edge which is used to negotiate a crowded dancefloor.
  6. 'Nuevo' or 'Neo' tango is held in such high regard by 'salon' tango dancers that they rarely attempt it... master this form and perform it at salon tango milongas and bask in the adoration of your fellow, less confident, dancers.
  7. The cabaceo is a playful device whereby the woman, having caught the eye of the man, encourages him with a nod to ask her to dance. The trick is to secretly cabaceo two men at the same time so that you appear to be ready to dance with the first whilst switftly shifting your attention to the second a moment before the first arrives to dance with you. Men love and respect this playfulness and will return the cabaceo many times to experience your refined humour and wit.
  8. Observe the 'line of dance' from your centre-of-the-room vantage point. Look for small gaps between couples dancing in the line. Now dance your partner randomly in and out of those gaps. This is called the 'secada'.
  9. Dancing in the centre of the dancefloor is generally regarded as a sign of confidence and ability, whilst dancing around the edge of the room marks you out as a beginner.
You will find rule 10 up to 41 on http://www.tangocentral.co.uk/tangorules.cfm

Dance Ads