Snotty Subculture

dchester

Staff member
My wife was wearing just such a badge in 2000 (in the form of a 2 year old child, which I often took on the floor for a spin at a tanda), and she could just as well have hung a 'private property, no trespassers, hunting all year round' sign around her neck. So few people invited her from that moment on (even when we went without our son) that she got fed up with the local scene and quit dancing.
Yeah, at some places I have to sit away from my wife, otherwise people won't ask her to dance.

Zoopsia59

Experienced men don't typically have a problem asking whoever to dance. I will say that sometimes, people have very different opinions on who the best dancers are.
Especially when they are assessing themselves. ;)

People also often have very different opinions on whether they are "experienced" or "the better dancers"

(this is not aimed at you DC)

sixela

In my case it had nothing to do with respect. My wife could not get any dances even if we sat separately and no one ever asked me permission to dance with her either (either verbally or by cabeceo-ing me). If my wife felt it had been due to respect, I doubt she would've quit in disgust°.

--
°No, it's not an invitation to subtly imply anything bad about my wife in a subsequent post, jan.

In my case it had nothing to do with respect. My wife could not get any dances even if we sat separately and no one ever asked me permission to dance with her either (either verbally or by cabeceo-ing me).
Couldn't say if it applies to your case, but I for one am unlikely to dance with someone who appears to have a preferred dance partner. So if for example a husband and wife dance a lot (relatively) of dances together, I'll leave them to it, regardless of where they're sitting. It could just be me that does this.

LKSO

It's also possible that the reason a person isn't asked to dance is because they can't do it well enough, though I'm not saying that this is the case here.

jantango

This reminds me of an American woman who has lived in Buenos Aires for the last two years with an Argentine. They arrive at the milongas together, but sit separately. It's no secret they are "together." They dance enough tandas to make it obvious. She hardly dances, but then she's not looking around for invitations. He is lining up the next tanda while dancing with her by flirting with women on the floor. He dances constantly. If they were following tradition of most couples, they would sit together at the milongas and dance only with each other. She says she doesn't mind seeing him dancing with other women while she sits. He asks other men to dance with her.

jfm

Especially when they are assessing themselves. ;)

People also often have very different opinions on whether they are "experienced" or "the better dancers"

(this is not aimed at you DC)
Shut it Zoops. Until you've tried one of my template mats you have no right to express such sentiments.

Dance Ads