steps you hate...and why

stash

Devlopes.... always feel off balanced... I can't seem to get a nice middle in waltz between super fast kick and too slow and not musical meh

Samba whisks are my nemesis. I have asked if can have a samba routine comprised solely of voltas, but no can do. :( I am trying to make peace with my whisks by remembering there is a tiny volta in every whisk, not unlike a chocolate covered cherry.

chomsky

for now it's crossover in rumba. I don't know if I'll keep dancing. If I keep dancing perhaps it will change again...Last year it was swivels in rumba but not anymore it isn't...fingers crossed, if the figure changes it means I haven't quit dancing- but that belongs to the want-to-quit thread...

There are figures I can't do well but I can't say that I hate them until I figure out how to do them.
(Many of my favorite figures took a while to learn.)

The one figure that comes to mind is the American Rumba Open Break. This one figure has pretty
much caused me to stay away from American Rumba all together.

currently:

any sit break....hate just hanging out there with my butt sticking out
shoulder taps in swing...just goofy
chicken walks...pro says they look good on me...I feel like a moron doing them
anything in shadow....am having a rough time not leaning back...look like a beached whale with her shoulders pinned back

check spins...i look lost...

closing my fan...I am so not okay with that whole thing...please don't look at me

uh...all of samba (getting better but mainly suck mud)

that's a good enough start for now

cornutt

The one figure that comes to mind is the American Rumba Open Break. This one figure has pretty
much caused me to stay away from American Rumba all together.
Hmm, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you need to work on that if you want to dance American rumba... it's used in a lot of figures. What about it is giving you problems?

bookish

Turkish towel in cha-cha. I don't dance it, but it looks kind of silly when pros demonstrate it on video so I'm not that interested in trying ;) Actually, on looking back at it again I can really see it fitting into the 1970s style of cheesy, bouncy cha-cha.

cornutt

Turkish towel in cha-cha. I don't dance it, but it looks kind of silly when pros demonstrate it on video so I'm not that interested in trying ;) Actually, on looking back at it again I can really see it fitting into the 1970s style of cheesy, bouncy cha-cha.
I don't like it because I can't see what's going on behind me, and I feel like I'm always fishing for my partner's hand. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt her arm.

chomsky

I just loooove turkish towel, because I got to tease my teacher about his accent! lol!

The Turkish Towel is a great social dance figure. I generally change the timing to make it, Rock back, recover, side while turning your body so that you can look deeply into the ladies eyes on your next back step. (Her forward step.)

Once you get comfortable with it you can almost kiss each other during the rock step.

Hmm, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, you need to work on that if you want to dance American rumba... it's used in a lot of figures. What about it is giving you problems?
Yes, you have it right.

My problem is probably because I never learned American Rumba. (Or International Rumba for that matter.)
It just doesn't feel as good as the way it was done in the old time social rumba. (Which is closer to
what you do in International, or what they do in Bolero. I now do mostly Bolero because for me, it is the
most romantic of all dances.

Dance Ads