steps you hate...and why

Laura

There's nothing in ballroom that can compare to my love of AT, and I'm really left reconsidering.
Follow your heart...no one is making you do ballroom. A teacher of mine once said "the purpose of dancing is to love doing it."

I'm not sure that's grammatically correct, but you get the idea....

Laura

I've read somewhere on these boards that international tango is like having been married for 10 years and staying together just for kids sake. I don't see it as passionate, but it is powerful and intense.
I see it as a way of getting back at my teacher by being completely and utterly disdainful of him :)

Laura

I don't understand how easily people get bored with some of these dances. A lot of non-dancers take great pleasure in simply listening to the music. You get to dance to it as well!
My issue is that not only do I not enjoy Salsa dancing, I don't like the music, either. I used to live in a neighborhood where the menfolk would get drunk, and hang out on their stoops to all hours playing Salsa music through blown speakers. Ay dios mio!

Laura

corta jaca...I think that's about the only step I completely despise... probably because I've never seen it done by anyone who makes it look good, or like it belong in the dance...
I actually saw it danced well in competition once...it was Dima & Olga Sukachov (what the heck ever happened to them?!) in some Pro Latin event in San Francisco about five years ago. I was amazed.

Still hate the step, though.

Laura

Fleckerls- I'll get them one day- for now my brain farts when going out of a contracheck and into the other direction- argh
OMG, me too! I'm fine until after the contra check. One of these days when I'm bored I'll make TS actually teach them to me, but we've got other fish to fry right now.

NielsenE

I actually saw it danced well in competition once...it was Dima & Olga Sukachov (what the heck ever happened to them?!) in some Pro Latin event in San Francisco about five years ago. I was amazed.

Still hate the step, though.
I think I was scarred for life by the styling of my first latin teacher who had us visual "sawing wood" with the joined low hand during this step... Lumberjack and Samba do not go together.... well maybe the Monty Python Lumberjack in a reverse role/same sex samba.... but that's neither here nor there....

Peaches

Oh, that's a corta jaca? I've seen those...I think they're really cool to watch. My teacher and his wife like to dance those.

Peaches

Absolutely! I won't even dance samba, so there's that for not liking them. I just think they can be very pretty to watch, is all. I was expecting them to be something I'd never seen before, is all.

mamboqueen

Maybe doing them and watching them are two different things? You know, I actually saw shalene do them with a student and looked pretty darn good. At least I was buying it from them....

and123

and this version doesn't show the way-cool option of dancing it with your arm down (like sawing wood, as Eric pointed out, and which inspired Laura to sing the Monty Python lumberjack song....)

Dance Ads