steps you hate...and why

and123

Oh, and what's that thing in swing--we've always called it a hip check. Side by side with your partner, but separated...triple step in towards each other...bump hips on 2&...then triple step back out. I HATE that one. Can never get the bump right--either slam hips way too hard, or not enough, or aim wrong and end up bumping butts instead of hips...nothing good about that move.
My latin instructor told me you're not supposed to slam into your partner on that one (much as I sometimes like to :p). It's one of those blasted "illusion" steps where you lean into/toward your partner, but don't actually bump butts/hips.

And speaking of shoulder taps, isn't "chugging" in Jive a more refined version of that?

Peaches

My latin instructor told me you're not supposed to slam into your partner on that one (much as I sometimes like to :p). It's one of those blasted "illusion" steps where you lean into/toward your partner, but don't actually bump butts/hips.

And speaking of shoulder taps, isn't "chugging" in Jive a more refined version of that?
Huh. I've been taught to bump...gently. Yeah, right. Haven't been able to make that work yet. Don't care to work on it any further to master the illusion.

mamboqueen

yahh..tell that to my former teacher who used to send me flying across the room. I got so used to that, that when I started with my new teacher, I sent him flying.

Chugging means a completely different thing to me....let's not mix up drinking lingo with steps...I'm already confused enough ;)

mamboqueen

actually, I was good. Two others went *boom* flat on the dance floor on Saturday night. And my friend happened to have her cell phone in her hand, captured the event on video. :(

mamboqueen

bock bock bock....

She really goes quite more side to side than I've seen some do...which I cannot watch myself do (vomituitous moment). I prefer just a little (chick walk?) turnout.

NielsenE

I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen a chicken walk this way.
I was going to say the same thing, but most of the time I see chicken its already breaded....

The only "reason" for the name I can think of is rather unflattering -- long skinny legs sticking out below a pooffy short skirt would be something like chicken's legs.....

mamboqueen

I was going to say the same thing, but most of the time I see chicken its already breaded....

The only "reason" for the name I can think of is rather unflattering -- long skinny legs sticking out below a pooffy short skirt would be something like chicken's legs.....
LMAO! Just where the chicken belongs...on the plate!

Twilight_Elena

I just realised tonight that I hate all poses that require you to have Karina's legs or be Karina. I am referring to those semi drops where you throw a leg in the air or those things where you almost sit on your feet and grab his leg (I am quite sure I saw Elena do such a pose with Slavik in a Chacha). I mean, if I was a World Superstars gal sure, go ahead and add them to our routine! Else they will look awful. As you can imagine, I vetoed any and all such ideas my teacher had, and he had to resort to more classic moves. I feel sorry for him. NOT.

T_E

Dance Ads