Steve Hevenor dies at Killick Klassik

CPR doesn't necessarily help. That's how my husband died - he just collapsed out of blue and was gone within minutes. Major heart attack.
CPR = Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - which is misnamed, it doesn't actually resuscitate the individual in most cases, it is to preserve brain and heart function...to prevent tissue death, it is difficult to do, it requires 100 deep chest compressions per minute, it is used until something can be done to restart the heart (this depends on the damage (to the heart) of course)

what is much more helpful while chest compressions are being done (properly of course - which is not commonly done) is preparation and initiation of an AED - which is now being used to save many many lives, in fact most larger or better hotels, health clubs, public places have an AED...so was AED attempted?

Wannabee

...so was AED attempted?
I have NO DOUBT that everything that could be done, was being done, to prevent this tragedy based on the skills and knowledge of the individuals that had the misfortune of having to experience this in person.

My sympathies to his friends and family and to my friends on DF.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
we are going to let the governing bodies and the organizers of that comp deal with protocol on this issue...we are not going to put this case under a microscope here... as a practical note...most public businesses like hotels are required by law to have an AED, whether or not the organizers themselves had one or not.... it was likely that one would be present in most any hotel...and it would be easy enough for folks entering a hotel to inquire about the location...most of us trained in cpr are trained to call for one and how to use one and to note where one is in any public domain where we have concern that one might be needed....I am certain that this will serve as a motivation for that sort of oversight ... probing here beyond that is not serving useful purpose

pygmalion

Not to mention that it could very well be profoundly painful for the people who are members of this forum, who are suffering terrible loss right now, to witness such conversation.

Have there been any announcements of where one might send donations and/or flowers?

cornutt

Tom and Mendy Langford asked me to pass along their sympathies, as well as everyone at Rocket City. We're still stunned. Steve was younger than me. Wow.

3wishes

Larinda, my condolences and prayers for those who loved him, the lives he touched. May the memories he made with his family, his extended family and everyone whose path crossed his bring warmth, smiles and laughter of the heart.

you will be missed

I always enjoyed our time competing side by side, joking in line, or relaxing in the lounge. What a talented man. You will be sorely missed. My prayers to your family and beautiful partners. Love to you, Larinda.
Colleen Royal

So sad. He introduced us to Standard and was the first real instructor we had. Dani and he were also our friends. I'm so sorry.
I had the pleasure of watching Steven and his lovely partner compete just three weeks ago. I loved their dancing and was so sorry to hear of this tragedy. Truly a loss for the dance community. Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and his partner.
I always enjoyed our time competing side by side, joking in line, or relaxing in the lounge. What a talented man. You will be sorely missed. My prayers to your family and beautiful partners.
Colleen Royal
Please feel free to share your comments, memories, stories, "steve-isms", and pictures on StephenHevenorTributes.com

Have there been any announcements of where one might send donations and/or flowers?
StephenHevenorScholarshipFund.com

Dance Ads