Tails for American smooth?

smidra86

Even the choreography is becoming more latiny sometimes, to borrow your word. I always thought of Smooth as being cousins with Ballroom, and ditto Rhythm and Latin (I know you all get what I mean). But watching some Smooth foxtrots sometimes makes you wonder whether Smooth isn't actually cousins with Latin. It's very sexy, and some of the actions could become cucarachas and cuban rocks if you slowed them down just a tiny little bit. Wearing tails and executing such choreography is just "wrong", IYGWIM.
I will be perfectly honest, but our tango is completely based off our our int. rumba. We literally went to Larinda and said this is our Rumba can you "tango-fy" it? So watching our movements it does look a lot more latin-y than most and I've seen a few couples try some of the moves we have (they just happen to have similar moves in their routines) and they weren't previously latin dancers and it looks awkward sometimes. So I agree completely, the tails nowadays wouldn't fit in, but I'm sure a suave guy could make it work. But I would think they have to have really good dancing because the tails will draw lots of attention to you and if the dancing isn't there, then thats no bueno.

Also, I might mention that the tails do need to be made for dancing. In another thread I posted a video, to show a picture line I needed help with, and in it there is someone who is wearing tails, but to me I don't think those tails were even made for dancing. They sort of look like the ones worn by musicians, and it makes me think the guy repurposed them but didn't realize that when he lifts his arms up, the shoulders are going to pop way up to his ears...

middy

I don't think of 2000 as being that long ago, but the changes in filming and video technology really emphasize that it's over a decade ago...

(Also some of the fashion, ballroom and otherwise, heh)

dbk

So I went back and dug through this thread again for some, ahem, personal choice-making help, and I thought I'd just leave this here for everyone to see ... Tails look pretty great to me, whatever the choreography.

Whatever my opinion of tails in Smooth, it's a better choice than some others in the background of that video... O.O

smidra86

So I went back and dug through this thread again for some, ahem, personal choice-making help, and I thought I'd just leave this here for everyone to see ... Tails look pretty great to me, whatever the choreography.

Let us all give credit to sync for finding this.

mindputtee

This seems as good a place as any to put this. My partner is in need of a new tailsuit and does not have a smooth suit. He's thinking about getting a "three piece" set, tail trousers, tail jacket, and smooth jacket. Have any of you worn tail trousers for smooth (with a smooth jacket) and how do they differ from the typical smooth trousers?

Gorme

I wear a tail trouser under my smooth vest. It works great. Only difference between a tail trouser and a smooth trouser is how high the waistline is. If you're going to wear a smooth jacket, I don't think you should be wearing a tail trouser. Go with a vest instead. Or get a long vest.

Dance Ads