Tattoos and Piercings in Ballroom Dancing

With regards to competition appearance, what do you think of tattoos and piercings on ballroom dance

• They're good because they draw attention to you

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Someone's mention of Mazen Hamsa's tattoo in on of the OSB threads got me thinking about this: are visible tattoos (or body piercings, or crazy hair color, or even outrageous costuming...for lack of a better term, we'll collectively refer to them as "miscellaneous unorthodoxy") a detriment on the competition floor, or do they not really matter at all?

Ideally, I think we'd all like to assume that judges are so focused on our dancing that they'd be able to overlook a tattoo or interesting piercing here or there if someone's dancing was truly good. However, my coach brought up an interesting point to me last night: "If two couples dance equally as good, and one of them has a tattoo and other doesn't, who do you think is going to get the higher placement?"

This is especially pertinent to me, as I do have a visible tattoo on my foot, and I'm contemplating whether or not to cover it up for an upcoming competition. Part of me understands that I have to "play the game" and wow judges with my appearance as well as my dancing; but another part of me still wants to be "true to myself" and leave it out in the open and let my dancing do the talking. Can things like tattoos and piercings really be "deal breakers" on the competition floor? What do you guys think?
highjack...stop the presses...mazen has a tat?...I positively must have details as my best buddy is totally enamored with him (in a harmless sort of way) and not only does she have 3 but her daughter owns a tat shop...must have details ;)

Well I think it differs if you are talking about standard or latin. Standard, better get rid of any mark that doesn't portray you as a gentlemen or a lady. Latin, I think won't hurt too much if you have a bit of the "bad boy" or "bad girl" look. Once at the nationals, I saw an open latin couple where the guy is dressed somewhat like a pirate. Yep...with a bandana!

Well I think it differs if you are talking about standard or latin. Standard, better get rid of any mark that doesn't portray you as a gentlemen or a lady. Latin, I think won't hurt too much if you have a bit of the "bad boy" or "bad girl" look. Once at the nationals, I saw an open latin couple where the guy is dressed somewhat like a pirate. Yep...with a bandana!

Agreed. Never, ever, do judges want to see tattooed and pierced standard dancers. There's a little more room for creativity in latin, but even then you need to be careful.

cornutt

It depends a lot on the specific tat and where it is. Some tats are horribly distracting. There are two places where IHMO no woman should ever have a tat: one is on the upper arms just below the shoulder, and the other is at the top of the breasts. But I think some tats can work and be attractive. It's still kind of weird for me since it's not something my generation did, but I'm getting used to seeing it.

One thing's for sure, though: if you are going to have a visible tat, you need to make sure that the part of your body where the tat is dances well. For instance, if you're going to have a noticable one on your ankle, your footwork had better be darn good.

Facial piercings I find very unattractive. A bellybutton one can work, though. As for certain other ones... well, if they're visible, you've got other problems. :shock:

It depends a lot on the specific tat and where it is. Some tats are horribly distracting. There are two places where IHMO no woman should ever have a tat: one is on the upper arms just below the shoulder, and the other is at the top of the breasts. But I think some tats can work and be attractive. It's still kind of weird for me since it's not something my generation did, but I'm getting used to seeing it.

One thing's for sure, though: if you are going to have a visible tat, you need to make sure that the part of your body where the tat is dances well. For instance, if you're going to have a noticable one on your ankle, your footwork had better be darn good.

Facial piercings I find very unattractive. A bellybutton one can work, though. As for certain other ones... well, if they're visible, you've got other problems. :shock:

A bellybutton ring is potentially dangerous though. Ear lobes are mostly out of the way when you dance. Sometimes the man needs to be holding the girl around the stomach area, and it just takes something little like a bit of clothing to catch.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have had a belly ring since before I started dancing, and never had a problem getting it caught on anything. My rhythm dresses and smooth dresses often are two pieces.

My tat is 1x1 inches... hardly a mole :tongue: But it is on the top of my foot and can easily be covered by a bit of makeup and the fishnets help to diffuse it as well.

http://www.dance-forums.com/album/photos/photo-3153.html

But as you can see, sometimes I don't bother to cover it at all.

Angel HI

Over it b/c of teh tear, or just grown out of it? Have no problem w/ sexy little tats (roses, etc) strategically placed, even some tramp stamps, but do believe that moderation or some cover should be considered in dance.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I loved it as well...having had very good pros, alot of the workshops speak to concepts about which I have already been familiarized(though perhpas in slightly different language), but that one was something altogether new for me...I slurped it up with a spoon

highjack...stop the presses...mazen has a tat?...I positively must have details as my best buddy is totally enamored with him (in a harmless sort of way) and not only does she have 3 but her daughter owns a tat shop...must have details ;)
Yah, I think CCM may have mentioned it in her review of the smooth show dances in her OSB diary. I think I remember her saying it was on his upper arm. I'd ask her for more info, though...but IMO it sounds sexy :cool:

ChaChaMama

Yah, I think CCM may have mentioned it in her review of the smooth show dances in her OSB diary. I think I remember her saying it was on his upper arm. I'd ask her for more info, though...but IMO it sounds sexy :cool:
I did mention it.

From my vantage point, it looked like he had a Chinese character on the exterior side of his left arm, just below the shoulder. (I was in Row O of the risers. Someone further down might be able to supply more info.)

Btw, I'm sure it is perfectly lovely as tattoos go...I'm just not a fan of tattoos. I am a fan of gorgeous men taking their shirts off, though. ;)

Dance Ads