Techniques across international and American styles

I would suggest two things:

1. Take lessons as a couple with your husband so you not only learn to dance better, but you learn to dance better with each other. You may need to search a little to find an instructor who teaches a couple as a couple rather than just teaching the individuals within the couple.

2. Failing that, ask your instructor to show you how to apply what you've learned in international waltz to American waltz. This shouldn't be a problem unless if your instructor knows American style as well as international style.
Thank you, Warren!

We have actually been taking lessons together for American dances for two years, and will keep that part going. In addition, I started individual lessons on international style with a different instructor recently. The problem is that while the techniques I learned helps me to dance better as an individual, it is not easy to apply to our dancing together. My husband seems reluctant to start international style at this point. So, it seems I can't go too far by myself since I goal is mainly to dance with him.

If your goals are social dancing with your husband, launching into a full, aggressive course of international training is probably overkill. From day 1, international style targets full, competitive form and style (one of its great advantages!), takes many years to master, and, frankly, leaves you with a dance that doesn't "fit" well on many American social dance floors.

From your stated goals, American style is probably much better. However, bronze American seems to be overly "socialized" in many venues with an emphasis on "steps" and, shall we charitably say, a "relaxed" style and technique. (In American silver, at least from what I've seen, it USUALLY gets more serious.)

Social dancing with one's spouse can indeed benefit from a degree of international instruction. Mainly, you want to move well and comfortably together, and look pretty good to those watching.
Very helpful tips! Thank you!

I agree that the bronze American seems to be overly "socialized," and this is the main reason for me to start trying international. It is good to know that social dancing with spouse can benefit from international instruction. It seems I should convice my husband of this idea.

Miss Silly

I have a kind of stupid question LOL :oops: might as well ask in this thread (although i have considered starting a "stupid random questions" thread)....

I never got much past Bronze I in smooth before i switched to Standard. I'm curious---are there heel pulls and heel turns for the lady in smooth like in standard?

tangotime

I have a kind of stupid question LOL :oops: might as well ask in this thread (although i have considered starting a "stupid random questions" thread)....

I never got much past Bronze I in smooth before i switched to Standard. I'm curious---are there heel pulls and heel turns for the lady in smooth like in standard?

In "dance", no stupid questions, only stupid answers !

Dance Ads