The stylistic mixing of Smooth & Standard -- current trend

dlliba10

FWIW, if David Hamilton feels comfortable calling Slawek "one of the best American Smooth boys that has ever danced this style," I'd trust his opinion.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I think, like every style, like every political leaning, the thing wobbles from one direction to another depending upon who is currently in the field....Donna Edelstien once described her process as a matter of choosing between Steak or Lobster...that it was not a matter of which was better or worse, but rather, a matter of what one had a taste for on that particular night...I sort of like the analogy...and I very much like her

samina

I think, like every style, like every political leaning, the thing wobbles from one direction to another depending upon who is currently in the field....Donna Edelstien once described her process as a matter of choosing between Steak or Lobster...that it was not a matter of which was better or worse, but rather, a matter of what one had a taste for on that particular night...I sort of like the analogy...and I very much like her
Good analogy, I think it applies.

dbk

Maybe it could be called "The New Smooth" style. Clearly, there are those who like it, and it's thriving.
I'd say there is just as much a "New Standard" as a "New Smooth," although the timelines may be different. The Standard of today certainly doesn't look like it did in the past. Dance styles change, evolve, trend, etc.

Lyra

Re DJs versus tails, there are certainly men who dance Standard in DJs in the UK and Europe, but in competition I would say that the majority still wear tails. I don't have strong feelings on the matter tbh. I would however, much, much rather see a man in a well-fitting, well tailored DJ than badly fitting tails that they've got on the cheap. Sadly there are too many of the latter around.

I've very little knowledge of Smooth so I can't really comment on the "Standardisation" of Smooth, other than to say I think that it would be a shame. One of the great things about dancing for me is that we have so many distinctive styles - I would hate to see them merge into an amorphous mass. Evolution is different and I'd see that as a good thing, but I really don't have enough knowledge to know if that's what's going on here.

jjs914

Donna Edelstien once described her process as a matter of choosing between Steak or Lobster...that it was not a matter of which was better or worse, but rather, a matter of what one had a taste for on that particular night
I like this a lot too! I was in no way trying to say that I don't like Slawek and Marzena or that I don't find them to be extremely talented. Simply commenting that I find there are others who draw me in emotionally as a spectator.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Even when we're taught shadow position, it's a Standard frame with the right hand slightly adjusted to avoid grabbing, um, unintended body parts. Attempts to deviate from that norm, unless done very, very well, would probably be seen as sloppy technique.
Actually shadow turning to the left is an entirely different position than shadow turning to the right. The hold you describe is close to shadow turning to the left. And I would call it more or less a promenade position for you. Promenade turning right is nothing of the sort close to a standard hold.

Mr 4 styles

In taking lessons from both Slawek and Marzena, I've come to see how they used their Latin and Standard background to come to bear on Smooth, and I actually think it works very well within Smooth, which I more and more am coming to consider my primary style. Slawek's carriage, attentiveness to Marzena, and rounded arm stylings and action exemplify the leader's role well, and Marzena's passion and intensity help elevate their emotional profile and made their shows at BADC truly spectacular for me. I sat in the front row and heard all of the little vocal tics and saw the connections working fluidly in and out of closed and open. They sell it, and they sell it well. I personally have no problem calling them well-deserving champions.
working on getting the wife to let me dance with marzena LOL

and you wont meet an nicer couple !!!

Mr 4 styles

Maybe it could be called "The New Smooth" style. Clearly, there are those who like it, and it's thriving.
that is the beauty of the american styles right now everyone is "new" and different no two couples in the top seven either style are alike its a feast to the eyes enjoy!!!

dlliba10

Actually shadow turning to the left is an entirely different position than shadow turning to the right. The hold you describe is close to shadow turning to the left. And I would call it more or less a promenade position for you. Promenade turning right is nothing of the sort close to a standard hold.
That would explain the difficulty of my Open Rights in Viennese ...

Mr 4 styles

I don't think I could choose between steak and lobster. Too much yummy both ways.
just has a"surf and turf" roll at a innovative asian restaurant spicy lobster roll with slice of medium well filet on top and dipping sauces No choosing here ill take BOTH!! LOL

dbk

I like this a lot too! I was in no way trying to say that I don't like Slawek and Marzena or that I don't find them to be extremely talented. Simply commenting that I find there are others who draw me in emotionally as a spectator.
I don't know if a spectator's emotional reaction is necessarily a good criteria for labeling something "Smooth" or not. I feel more of an emotional reaction too, and feel more of a connection between, some Standard couples - even beyond some Smooth couples... does that make their dancing more "Smooth"? I don't think so; it just variation in the expression of the dance.

Dance Ads