Tipping ($$) your dance instructor?

I live in the US and was at a dance studio holiday party on Friday night. I noticed that several student tipped (like you would a Maitre D')the owner of the studio before leaving. Is this customary? If so, what is a normal tip?

If you see it again - could you ask someone what they are tipping for? Its hard to even imagine unless some favor was extended in the studio - best table or something...

I don't think tipping (especially a studio owner) is customary - I agree with elisedance, maybe the money was for something else. Or perhaps it was intended as a holiday present (which still seems odd... my dude's getting sweets). Was the party free to get into? Then it might make a little more sense - like if the owner paid out of his own pocket for food & booze.

etp777

Yep, never seen tips, but lots of Christmas presents. And I gave presents after our last competition as it was first comp after I came back from Kuwait, and they worked extremely hard to get me ready (and I probably drove them crazy during it. :) )

etp777

Of course, if you have spare cash you're thinking of giving to your instructor,t here are lots of needy dancers here who are despserate for lesson money that'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)

I can see how it could be insulting - as if personal attention is just a matter of payment (services rendered) when its so often a matter of caring (if you tip for caring you demean it into service for payment). But maybe some owners are not so bothered...

In my limited time ... I have never seen it or heard of it. (at any studio I have been too) We pay to go to the showcases and socials and lessons, comps, etc ... I do not think there is a real reason to add an "extra".

JANATHOME

Sure, you never know. I purchased a rhythm costume from my instuctor a while back, and we agreed on 3 payments. Once a month after our lesson I give her cash. I suppose someone looking on could think that I am tipping her. Who knows what you saw.

Dance Ads