Too late to become a dancer?

tancos

It's never too late to learn ballroom dancing.
It's never too late to learn ANY type of dancing. Just like in the "Total Absolute Beginner" topic in this thread people have gone from general questions about dancing to talking about ballroom, pros, competitions, etc.

Hedwaite

I agree with tancos, but since we're often reminded that this is a ballroom or partner dance discussion site, I felt the urge to specify ballroom, and had assumed that was, well, assumed.

tancos

Agreed, but this is the General Dance discussion thread. As you noted in a previous post affordability is a major issue, and unless his last name is Rockefeller I doubt if ambrehhh, the 14 year old boy who started this discussion, has the resources to pursue ballroom dancing at the level you describe. (Full disclosure: I've always been dismayed at how commercial ballroom dancing has become. A friend of my wife is one of those 60+ ladies you mentioned who has fallen into the clutches of Arthur Murray. She is not wealthy, and I doubt if she can achieve Silver before she achieves bankruptcy.)

chomsky

I can't say I agree. I guess it's both age and determination that makes a difference. Learning bad habits and unlearning has to do with learning itself; by no means your instrument is the body and the ageing body and/or mind does make a difference, but then we're only human afterall; it's the actual learning that counts and as ancient greeks used to say...girasko aei didaskomenos, (as I grow older I never stop learning).
I started dancing at 37 and am sad about it, but I shouldn't, that's why it pains me to accept defeat...

twnkltoz

It's never too late to learn ANY type of dancing. Just like in the "Total Absolute Beginner" topic in this thread people have gone from general questions about dancing to talking about ballroom, pros, competitions, etc.
And as several people said in that thread, people answer based on their experience. I have no idea if it's too late to become a Scandinavian folk dancer or whatever.

Of course the OP is long gone and the point is moot.

Dance Ads