Wedding dance lessons - plus gift registry item?

Should I get them something from their gift registry?

• No. You're doing enough. Go forth without shame.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Yes. And don't be a cheapskate and buy one spoon out of a set of 12!

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
I've been invited to a wedding. I'll be performing music for the bridal processional. I'm also teaching the father of the bride dance. I may teach the bride and groom dance as well.

Should I get them something from their gift registry?

Mr 4 styles

i gave two couples wedding dance as a gift choreoed it myself and then taught it to them with my pro teaching the lady

10 lesson ( per couple)... i think that was enough

dbk

Dance lessons AND music is more than enough. Both are services that would normally have them paying out the, uh, behind. I don't know how much live music costs, but DJs can charge in the $100s just for ceremony music, especially if the ceremony and reception are in different locations. Unless your bride is a bridezilla (or a couplezilla, I guess) there should be no offense.

If you're worried, you might give them a low-cost gift that subtly reminds them of your more expensive and time-consuming gift. E.g. a CD with a recording of the song you played, a book on ballroom dancing (with inscription referencing the lessons you gave them), etc.

Too late for it now, but in this situation it's best to say something like "it will be my gift to you," right off the bat, so it establishes the idea that this is a gift instead of a favor.

pygmalion

Dance lessons AND music is more than enough. Both are services that would normally have them paying out the, uh, behind. I don't know how much live music costs, but DJs can charge in the $100s just for ceremony music, especially if the ceremony and reception are in different locations. Unless your bride is a bridezilla (or a couplezilla, I guess) there should be no offense.

If you're worried, you might give them a low-cost gift that subtly reminds them of your more expensive and time-consuming gift. E.g. a CD with a recording of the song you played, a book on ballroom dancing (with inscription referencing the lessons you gave them), etc.

Too late for it now, but in this situation it's best to say something like "it will be my gift to you," right off the bat, so it establishes the idea that this is a gift instead of a favor.

What a nice idea. :)

Did you volunteer all of this, or were you asked?
Asked by the bride for the processional music. Volunteered for the dance. Though if I hadn't offered, they probably would have asked. I have a history of giving lessons to their family (multiple lessons for the bride's parents, one previous lesson for the current couple, and bride/groom, MoG, and FoB lessons when the bride's sister got married).

pygmalion

Heh, I was kinda figuring any teaching might be perceived as the usual, expected thing, rather than as an extra/gift. :)

I would hope not, but I understand why you might be concerned about that. If it's of real concern to you, then why not go with the suggestion someone made earlier and go with a modestly/lower-priced item from their registry, just to be safe?

Dance Ads