What I Learned At My Last Comp

JudeMorrigan

That nerves do make a difference. Hands down I was more nervous for this comp than any other comp ever, and it showed, and not for the better in our first event. That being said, we still placed not last in our first comp competing both amateur and open. We also did really well in gold.
Learned that I need to work on becoming more powerful.. The other couples on the floor in novice were just moving so much more than us, but our line figures look really good.
Finally learned that I can actually do my hair and makeup decently well ( finally!)

Also, that meeting df people IRL is awesome.. Great job Jude! You guys looked awesome :)
Thanks, llamas! I was really glad you came by. Sorry if I seemed a bit distracted. I can get kind of focused when I'm between heats. :)

As far as it goes, I only saw your gold, but it looked quite nice to me. My partner considered your head whips in tango to be literally remarkable.

llamasarefuzzy

Thanks, llamas! I was really glad you came by. Sorry if I seemed a bit distracted. I can get kind of focused when I'm between heats. :)

As far as it goes, I only saw your gold, but it looked quite nice to me. My partner considered your head whips in tango to be literally remarkable.
Thanks...we just had a lesson on tango head...and no worries, you didn't come off as distracted! I also totally understand trying to focus!

JudeMorrigan

Oh, and as far as lessons learned go, my partner and I need to spend more of our time working on our foxtrot and QS. A disproportionate amount of our standard practice time working on waltz simply because it's easier to get the music. We need to break down, get some bluetooth transmitters, and even things out, even as we increase our overall practice time. The marks in the other two dances weren't really out of sync with the waltz, but the dances themselves felt pretty meh to me.

Also, we need to spend bazillions of hours doing latin drills.

Lessons learned at my second comp and first away-comp: Really, really bad idea to drink 3 glasses of wine the night before, also bad idea to dance 28 dances without stopping much, don't use shoe pads anymore! (one came off and one slipped around leaving me with one slippery shoe and one sticky shoe), hard to dance with stones stuck in shoe bottom, hard to dance while short on sleep and food, altitude has effect. Also learned people are nice and lots of fun. Also learned my best dance was last jive when I decided, I don't care anymore, I am just going to have fun. Dances were a dog's breakfast of complete screw ups and awesome moments.

JANATHOME

Hey about that shot!!!
I remember once dancing the USADance Nationals with my husband and observed this college gal take a bottle of Vodka out of her bag, big gulp, then goes on the floor to compete...

I was like OMG I cant believe she did that, but she danced great... Ya know, if that is what one needs to do to calm her nerves, fine, but if it was me I would of fallen face first using that method!!

I also use to dance with another gal and her husband was a dentist... She use to pop valums (sp) before a comp.
Funny!!

My first Comp 2 weekends ago. We did great Placed 2nd overall and first in foxtrot and tango. So very pleased overall. I learned about myself that the deep desire for competition is still there as I hadn't really taken part in a competitive event in about 15 years. I learned that there are a lot of nice people out there in the competitive arena with loads of support.

On a side note I took pain killers (for a nagging ankle injury) and 2 glasses of wine before we went on. I felt no pain and danced as well as any day in practice. Great time. Comp #2 in 2.5 months.

Well put Footyjammies! Don't get mad, get even (by way of results). My TC told us when we arrived yesterday that the two separate dances we thought we'd entered were actually part of a three-dance. My partner had a serious rage aura going on when I broke the news we had 90 mins to get a jive together :p Old lesson revisited - keep it clean and simple and dance the heck out of it. ;)

Dance Ads