What I Learned At My Last Comp

Learned that when i'm struggling during a multi, the best thing for me and rhythm pro to do is NOT SPEAK AT ALL TO EACH OTHER. My brain fell out during the rhythm heats, and i spent the 10 seconds or so between each dance trying to refocus. since my pro gets snippy really quick, and then i lose my temper just as easily, it helped so much to just not even acknowledge that he existed until the next song started. Also learned that I have FINALLY learned how to recover quickly and hide my screwups. Rhythm was a little rocky, but a couple of people whose opinions I valued said that they didn't see the disaster that I felt (unlike previous disaster comps). And even my video was not as cringeworthy! amazing. Smooth was MUCH improved, finally. I think my brain fell out in rhythm because my legs and I were more tired after smooth than usual, and because i didn't walk through my routines fully by myself. I MUST DO THAT. also, i can enjoy west coast swing during a social when i'm dancing with the right person. otherwise, i hate it.

debmc

1) that a daytime nightmare of things going wrong for a week previous actually helped for things to go very right.
2) wearing new shoes on the floor, should have brushed the soles, slipping would have been less. It got better as the rounds went on.
3) staying relaxed with a good attitude, no matter how many times in open scholarship we got slammed into, hit or shoved by other couples who clearly did not see us stationary in their line of dance, (really it was all 4dances in smooth, good GOD!), and continuing on proved beneficial. At one point pro almost fell on top of me when slammed into from behind but my ski instructor self kicked in and I held my weight centered so I wasn't going to fall and neither was he.
4) the unbeknownst to me cheering section eruption when I won open gold scholarship was amazing, DebMc being part of it, the heart overflows with joy.
5) warming up on the bike in the fitness room was a key for me.
6) not coming unglued when pro suddenly had to change choreography due to crowd conditions, "just follow" runs through my head like a train at that point.
7) have got to stop walking between the tables/chairs when sitting. My dress chiffons and skirt kept getting caught up in some sort of hooks that the chairs had.
8) doing my own hair and make-up, is more peaceful and predictable than having an appointment. Ahhhhhhh.
You looked so beautiful out there!!

RiseNFall

That I need to practice dancing on a too-sticky floor.o_O About 3/4 of the way through my brain and body finally got in sync in handling it, but by then I was getting tired (I seem to be getting a little sick). However, there was a lot I was really pleased with. This was a team match, which I count as a less expensive than usual competition. We won, so I was happy. :D

My performance goal is to look like I feel like a confident dancer even when my dancing doesn't necessarily warrant it, and I've definitely made progress in that regard. I did swear twice while on the floor, but can't have everything.;)

3wishes

A) getting ready at home rather than hotel room is soooo much better.
B) traffic is still traffic even with a Fast Trac device that early in the morning, while false eyelash pokes me in eye. Geez.
C) pro believes I can “just follow”when he suddenly has no choice (because of floor crowd) to flip things around. Lol, snicker, wink resulting in good fake job on my part. HA.
D) drive home LATE at night is still traffic! Good lord, really?
E) just had fun!

scullystwin42

Learned that even when I absolutely do feel i am looking up the whole dang time i am on the floor, it's still not looking like it enough :/ also that there is still a disconnect from what i feel i am doing vs what is actually visible. However, also learned that I am improving in smooth again and that despite placing 4th in both open and closed smooth scholarships, i am still happy with my dancing. Ladies B smooth is a tough field.

scullystwin42

oh i just remembered that i also learned that i need to practice new hairstyles before comp, not at it. I don't trust the people available to do my hair (it's very curly and very frizzy, but also thin), so i've been doing it myself. I only have like 2 styles I can do easily and successfully, so i'm always trying to do something new. i took too long and ran out of time. sigh. i would like to not do my own hair, and just do other people's, but alas, that's not an option.

Had my 1st competition at the beginning of December. I learned a couple things:

1) we did 16 single dance heats(Samba, Cha Cha, Paso Doble & Jive) & 1 2-Dance Championship(Samba & Jive) and it was thankfully easier to do than it looked on paper.

2) we didn’t do Rhumba(due to me breaking my foot & being out for a couple months and then getting hurt in turbulence at work a couple months later and being out for a few more due to the jacked up shoulder), we didn’t get time to put a routine together. However as sad as I was not doing it, I’m glad we didn’t, because it gave us a breather in between heats. Now that the 1st competition is out of the way, we can add it, and know that we can handle the extra heats.

3) check my shoelaces....around heat 10 or so we were about to do Samba and I thought I kept stepping on a “rhinestone or a feather”, nope it was my untied shoelace. I thought about tying it, but the music started and we were off. Nothing happened, but I kept picturing us both tumbling when my partner drops between my legs into the splits LOL But I figured I could handle stepping on my shoelace if it went under my shoe. However I kept quickly checking it anytime I had a chance & it was fine

4) I guess it was because ballroom is new for both of us, but nerves kicked in about a week or so before competition. Which is VERY weird for me. I found it funny that both of us(me & my dance partner) were nervous since we usually are very relaxed people. My husband said it is because it’s new for us and we aren’t the old grizzled veterans LOL. He’s probably right. Once we were on the floor together, my partner’s & my nerves were gone & it was just “us” on the floor and we had a blast. I won’t lie, we will be learning Smooth with the goal of competing that as well, so those nerves may resurface LOL. Especially since I don’t see myself as a waltzing/tangoing kind of guy LOL

5) CLEARLY the table that my friends & family were sitting at was the “place to be”, because there was a cluster of couples that wanted to be in between us and them LOL. So out of the 17 heats we only tried to be in front of the table a couple times, learned our lesson, and stayed off to the side :)

6) the adjudicators/officials can be very funny LOL While collecting our awards I was about to walk away and the official dropped one, so I said “I’ll get it for you”, to which he replied, “all of us know you can do the splits, so we think you should go into them to pick it up”. LOL

And lastly I realized that if I did all the competitions that I wanted, I’d go broke LOL

RiseNFall

Hmm. I am definitely in an upwards trajectory in terms of how I dance at competitions/team matches. While there were a few glitches, I was quite pleased with my smooth at the team match this weekend. It was a good reflection of the current state of my dancing (glitches and all). We backed up to some of the more solid older material, partially because I missed some lessons from being sick, but I have to say I liked that. It's not news to me that it takes me a while to become comfortable with new figures, but this did confirm that it's easier to compete well when I'm not worried about my ability to execute something.

Was at only my second comp last week which was only about an hour from my home. All of my heats were Sunday afternoon so my plan was to do my hair and makeup at home then drive over to the venue late morning. I wear glasses (and can no longer tolerate contacts) so I'm doing my makeup with my glasses off and holding a small mirror. I finish my makeup and spritz my face with the setting spray . . . . something doesn't feel right so I stop, put on my glasses and discover that I just spritz myself with my makeup remover spray! I don't really have time to start over . . .so I let it dry, apply a little loose powder followed by several layers of the real setting spray. It worked OK and my makeup stayed in place for the entire comp . . . so what I learned at my last comp was to always check the spray bottle before spritzing!

sbrnsmith

When I checked into the hotel for my last comp, there was a note for all dancers from hotel management. Apart from usual stuff, there was a notice that if there were any stains from tanning products on their linens, towels etc- you would be charged for replacing that item. While I understand that hotels need to protect their property from damage by stains- dancers use tanning products. What are they supposed to do? Bring their own towels, bed linens etc? Is this a thing now and did anyone else encounter this at any of their comps?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
When I checked into the hotel for my last comp, there was a note for all dancers from hotel management. Apart from usual stuff, there was a notice that if there were any stains from tanning products on their linens, towels etc- you would be charged for replacing that item. While I understand that hotels need to protect their property from damage by stains- dancers use tanning products. What are they supposed to do? Bring their own towels, bed linens etc? Is this a thing now and did anyone else encounter this at any of their comps?
there was a local comp that tried to do that ... in my view the organizers should have taken that up with the hotel and covered the cost and renegotiated about it at a later time. And the fact that they didn't did not help their comp in the future

FancyFeet

I've come across that a few times. I usually pack long-sleeved and long-pant dark pjs to wear, and you can cover the pillowcase with a t-shirt. That, plus patting (rather than rubbing) dry post-shower tends to work. I've also traveled with a dark double sheet that I fold and use like a sleeping bag.

More annoying is a sign warning that you can't tan in the hotel rooms (including bathrooms) or change rooms when it isn't communicated ahead of time. I usually show up already tanned, but a small touch-up might be required... and I saw an awful lot of dancers or parents ignoring that rule at the one hotel that had it, because apparently not everyone tans at home.

Dance Ads