What's Your Favorite Samba?

Ack everyone's picks are so old! Nothing against your choices, just that I've listened to these songs so many times, they fail to get me energized. I'm always looking for the brand new beat (and then 1 month later it gets old for me....)

Right now on my practice playlist are:
- "Sex" Eli Kokkinou (this song is a great samba, but gets too clubby at parts...which I just edited out, to make a great 2 minutes samba)
- "La Camisa Negra" Juanes
- "Mi Chico Latino" Geri Halliwell (yeah yeah so this song is a year old, and yes I know she was a spice girl, so sue me)
- "Gasolina" Daddy Yankee (its kinda a slow merengue I guess, but I dance it as a samba, its pretty cool, but not everyone agrees. Check it out for yourself!)

Thats all I can think of for now...

Twilight_Elena

"Gasolina" is reggaeton. And while reggaeton is danced as samba from many ballroom fellas, it's not samba. ;)
"Sex" is also not samba. I know this because the singer is Greek so I've heard the song over here a million times, and our modern dance group is choreographing it as a dance/club style.
"La camisa Negra" is a bit lukewarm for a samba, while being a great song.
Rumbakalao. I really, really like it. I'm already thinking of samba songs for my summer choreography, and this one is in the top 5. ;)

Twilight Elena

bluetango said:
Ack everyone's picks are so old! Nothing against your choices, just that I've listened to these songs so many times, they fail to get me energized. I'm always looking for the brand new beat (and then 1 month later it gets old for me....)
There are alot of hip hop and top 40 songs that are sambas, but it seems that alot of them tend to have inconsistent beats and at times the feeling of the songs can stray from that of a samba. The songs I listed are ones with good consistent beats that you can really "feel" the dance too. If we're talking the newer hip hop and top 40 songs for listening value and not clear, consisent beat and feel, then I could add a few others that I really like....

Hips Don't Lie - Shakira
Don't Phunk With My Heart - Black Eyed Peas
Rich Girl - Gwen Stefani
Ain't It Funny - Jenifer Lopez
I Got It - Kevin Lyttle
Tempted to Touch
Turn Me On - Kevin Lyttle

and there's probly many others, I just can't think of them at the moment

delamusica

Shakira - La Totura
Ozomatli - Ya Viene El Sol (The Beatle Bob Remix) - from their "Street Signs" album
Sergio Moreno - Magalenha (off of "The Ultimate Latin Album 3)
Chicadee - Ooh La La (also "The Ultimate Latin Album 3)

I love the fact that I went to name some sambas and everybody had already picked some of my favorites. :)

I like some of the reggaeton stuff but I also like a lot of the more traditional type samba music. The newer stuff is fun for a change of pace (or possibly showcases) :)

Oh well hear goes!

Turn me on... Kevin Lyttle
La Muchacha Turka... Hakim
Get Busy... Sean Paul
Hips Don't Lie... Shakira
La Tortura... Shakira

Rumbakaloa
Viva el amore (Latin Music 4 or 5 I think)
Ooh la la (great samba!!!) (Ultimate Latin Album 3)
Black Machine is Jazz Machine (Dance with Me)
Chica Boom (Ultimate Latin Album 2 I think)

Fun sambas you would probably never dance to:
The Macarena
Asereje (the ketchup song)
Coco Jambo (Mr. President)

I have tons more favs but can't think of them now. :)

delamusica

JohnLL said:
Get Busy... Sean Paul
Asereje (the ketchup song)
Oh yeah - I forgot these! (Asereje is a little slow, but still really fun to dance to. Sometimes I like to practice a little bit slowly to concentrate on technique - a lot of reaggeton stuff works great for that.)

when i still did samba in a group class, we did our warm up to the theme to the sopranos. really made you press into the floor. we always loved it.

Medira

alemana said:
when i still did samba in a group class, we did our warm up to the theme to the sopranos. really made you press into the floor. we always loved it.
Woke Up This Morning - A3

...wow...I had no idea this was a samba! Must make use of it....thanks! :D

Dance Ads