Where do you practice?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
The discussion is on going with the studio's I frequent. As you well know learning is a process. Some are quick learners and some are not. The Flip side is that I am on the side on the studio because I want them to do well and I would enjoy still learning from them. But they have to still be in business for that to happen and since so many studio's here have closed already, I don't want to see that happen anymore. Again, The studio owners and instructors have my utmost respect for what they do best and I consider myself very lucky but I want that to continue and making the right business decisions are crucial especially in this economy.
I appreciate and agree with that concern...and understand you entirely ...always have...I appreciate that your posts have been out of that concern....am only making the point, as I have had similar intentions myself at times, that however noble your intentions, they still might not be accepted...i hope that there is a good outcome

CANI

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm always in trouble for rocking the boat both in my personal life and in my business life. It's who I am and I am ok with that.
I don't even consider it rocking the boat -- you have an idea you think can help dance businesses and dancers alike in your area, why not share that and explore it?

When I started in groups before the studio I now attend opened -- I was frustrated by three things -- (1) not knowing where to dance on weekends and not having a partner (even tho I would go to places by myself); (2) wanting to practice with a partner between the group classes and not having a partner (although I did practice by myself) and (3) not having access with the teacher I liked to advanced group classes.

To make a long story short -- I asked all the people in the group classes I was in if they were interested in dancing on the weekend and practicing. Many were -- so they gave me their e-mails and I started in. Made a weekly list of all the places to go dancing, coordinated meet-ups and car pools to dances, and everyone danced with everyone else -- as well as the people at the venues, so we had partners. I also coordinated times for us to all get together and practice and e-mailed the routine and the notes I had so we could practice alone and then together during the practice session. It was great -- whatever I couldn't remember, someone else could, and we all helped each other out -- and we all had partners -- we switched and shared. Eventually, I had enough people I was able to get an advanced group class together -- the teacher was happy (he commented that students had asked about advanced classes prior to this, and any time he offered it, none came) because he got interested students and the money from a group class and we all benefited by getting to continue to explore a dance more fully and consistently. There's a lot that can be done to support dancing and to address the things causing frustration.

The studio I've started going to charges $20/hour for floor time unless you take private lessons with their instructors, in which case you can practice for free for the 6 days following your lesson. If you take a lesson there from a guest instructor, you can practice for free 1 hour that same day.

When I was preparing for competition this weekend I looked into other studios to see about practice space, and NONE of them mention anything about it on their websites!

The studio I've started going to charges $20/hour for floor time unless you take private lessons with their instructors, in which case you can practice for free for the 6 days following your lesson. If you take a lesson there from a guest instructor, you can practice for free 1 hour that same day.
:shock: The max I've seen around here is $10/hour, and that's only one place. The prevailing rate seems to be $10/day (whether person or couple). I go to two places that charge $5/day.

The search for practice space has been an ongoing struggle for my husband and me. Our city does not have a dedicated ballroom studio although there are a couple of ballroom teachers; they teach out of a health club and a community center respectively. Neither of those venues charges anything close to a reasonable hourly floor fee. The community center does not rent by the hour at all, but we have been able to practice there on days when our USA Dance chapter and other people that we know have dances scheduled. Also, since the beginning of this year I've been taking ballet at a local studio and have managed to shoehorn in some practice time for us there. Before I was dancing there, the owner wanted $20 or $25/hour for studio time, which is roughly in line with other dance studios I contacted. Now, if the studio is open and the space is available, she is willing to let us practice for free. It's a huge blessing!

I'm going to piggyback on this thread, but maybe it deserves its own. If so, mods, feel free to break this off. It's about sharing practice space.

When I practice in the gym's aerobics studio, I sometimes run into other gym members who want to do same thing. Or they want to do free weights in front of the mirror. The gym policy is that when there is no aerobics class going on, any member can use the room, and share it (you can't book it exclusively). I talked to them about practicing there and the management was very supportive. Everyone I've met there has been very nice about sharing - but this one guy is weird. He seems to want exclusive usage of it when he is there. For example, I was practicing there on a day when there are no afternoon group classes, and he asked me when I was going to be done (there was slightly over an hour left till the closing time, so obviously I'd have to be done within an hour). And the other day, I just started practicing after the group class, and he saw me and went to a raquetball court instead of sharing it (I hope he doesn't expect me to do same thing if he got there first). Mind it, we are not talking about a postage stamp size room, it's at least 40x40 (its side is slightly bigger than the short wall on a typical competition floor). And I saw him dance, he does AT and he doesn't move much. And even though I move more than he does, I am quite capable to keep it to my portion of a 40x40 room. I strongly suspect that he is teaching rather than just practicing - he taught a group class on AT at a belly dance place in town, and the few times I've seen him dancing at our gym, he was with different women, and when they were in raquetball court (which resembles a fishbowl when it comes to transparency), it appeared that he was explaining something to her. The reason he'd be doing it (if he does) would be to save on the floor fee ($15-$17 an hour here) - as a gym member he can bring in guests for free.

So anyway, I am not sure what to do, or do anything at all. He comes to socials at our ballroom studio sometimes. Should I talk to him next time I meet him there and explain to him that I do not mind sharing at all? Or wait till we have a situation when I have to ask him if he is OK with sharing (meaning that I got to the aerobics room and found that he is already using it)?

wooh

I'd just wait for a time when he comes in after you, and if/when he says something, say, "Oh, I don't mind sharing, come on in." If you get there after him, and ask him if he minds sharing, you risk him saying that he does mind.
Is the gym aware he's teaching? They might not mind him using the room, or bringing a guest, but they may very well mind him using the floor for profit. Not sure, but it could actually cause them to have some liability/insurance issues.

I'd just wait for a time when he comes in after you, and if/when he says something, say, "Oh, I don't mind sharing, come on in." If you get there after him, and ask him if he minds sharing, you risk him saying that he does mind.
Is the gym aware he's teaching? They might not mind him using the room, or bringing a guest, but they may very well mind him using the floor for profit. Not sure, but it could actually cause them to have some liability/insurance issues.
I've already done it a couple of times (told him that he is welcome to share it), and he seemed not very pleased with the idea. Last time he didn't even ask and headed for the raquetball court (although I think he would have shared if all three raquetball courts were taken).

I don't think the gym is aware that he is teaching. And it's still only my guess at this point, although I am 90% sure of it. Given how his quality compares to other teachers in town, I can see why he would try to find a way to not pay a floor fee and thus be able to lower his price.

The gym did let my previous teacher rent aerobics room for teaching in the past, when he was fired from his studio job, but he arranged it officially with them and they did charge him a floor fee of $20, even though he was a member, as well as some of his clients (and even with the floor fee, he couldn't use the room exclusively, other members were allowed to share it).

Hi, I am a new member here and am enjoying reading all of the posts. "Tanya The Dancer", your post caught my eye. I, too practice at my gym club's aerobic exercise room and like yours, it is quite large. "Most" people ar really polite.

It is funny how some people become territorial at the gym, but usually it was with the circuit training equipment. You know, of course, that you have every right to be in your space as much as the "instructor" dude. I am sure you do not feel intimidated,but I also think you are being way too nice. You have your space and he has his. If he doesn't like it, then he can pay a studio fee elsewhere. The aerobics room is for everyone to share, except when an official class is being held.

I am extremely polite to anyone who comes in after me to exercise, work out, dance, etc. Never had much of a problem, except for one guy who came in last week and blasted some music and then positioned himself dead center of the aerobics floor (weird). I guess he felt it was "his" space for that hour.

Anyways, my attitude with that guy....is don't retreat! Get into your "zone" and keep having fun.

I practice before a yoga class sometimes and I found that yoga goers tend to be territorial about placing their mats (so the days when I am there before a yoga class are my rhythm/latin days, since there is a lot more stationary things I can do there). I even overheard one lady telling her buddies as I was getting out of the gym "I just got here, so I couldn't get our usual spots, sorry". But other than that, they are quite nice.

Hi, I am a new member here and am enjoying reading all of the posts. "Tanya The Dancer", your post caught my eye. I, too practice at my gym club's aerobic exercise room and like yours, it is quite large. "Most" people ar really polite.

It is funny how some people become territorial at the gym, but usually it was with the circuit training equipment. You know, of course, that you have every right to be in your space as much as the "instructor" dude. I am sure you do not feel intimidated,but I also think you are being way too nice. You have your space and he has his. If he doesn't like it, then he can pay a studio fee elsewhere. The aerobics room is for everyone to share, except when an official class is being held.

I am extremely polite to anyone who comes in after me to exercise, work out, dance, etc. Never had much of a problem, except for one guy who came in last week and blasted some music and then positioned himself dead center of the aerobics floor (weird). I guess he felt it was "his" space for that hour.

Anyways, my attitude with that guy....is don't retreat! Get into your "zone" and keep having fun.
I like your approach. :)

Welcome to Dance Forums, littleleers!

I'm glad there are more people here who train at a gym, because we do too. I'm working at a school and I can use the gym after working hours.

When I telll others I use the gym for dancing they look at me as if I'm crazy or something... But it works out really well, although the floor isn't wood.

I'm glad there are more people here who train at a gym, because we do too. I'm working at a school and I can use the gym after working hours.

When I telll others I use the gym for dancing they look at me as if I'm crazy or something... But it works out really well, although the floor isn't wood.
Ditto! Well, used to practice at a gym...

Welcome to Dance Forums, Mr.Atari. :)

j_alexandra

I practice before a yoga class sometimes and I found that yoga goers tend to be territorial about placing their mats (so the days when I am there before a yoga class are my rhythm/latin days, since there is a lot more stationary things I can do there). I even overheard one lady telling her buddies as I was getting out of the gym "I just got here, so I couldn't get our usual spots, sorry". But other than that, they are quite nice.
/rant
Ohhh, the mat ladies. I practice on the aerobics room floor before a group class, or in the yoga room, and the ladies have to come in and lay down their mats and arrange their stations for their class -- sometimes as much as 45 minutes before the class starts. They're territorial beyond belief, and not always nice about it (this particular gym has a culture of gossipy pettiness you wouldn't believe). We've come to a kind of detente, but once three mats are down, I leave, no matter what time or how long I've been practicing. It's too hard to move around them, and I once hit someone's station and fell. Took the hint and moved to the yoga room -- and the mat ladies were there, too. I guess they're just so insecure about their Own Space that they have to stake it out well in advance. Part of the New York culture: me first, claiming your space, elbowing other people out of the way.

/endrant

Dance Ads