Where do you practice?

I wish my gym would get the stereo equipment locked up already, so that they can open the dance rooms to people. Right now they can only be used by classes. The gym has been open since January, and it's not like putting a case over the stereo would be hard, so it's clearly not top priority. sigh. That room would be so perfect for practice.

CANI

I wish my gym would get the stereo equipment locked up already, so that they can open the dance rooms to people. Right now they can only be used by classes. The gym has been open since January, and it's not like putting a case over the stereo would be hard, so it's clearly not top priority. sigh. That room would be so perfect for practice.
Don't know if it will help, ash_sk8s, but if you haven't done so already, try to find the head person responsible for the room and explain what you are looking to do and ask if there is any way to make it work. I was at a gym for a period of time that had explicit signs and policies that the dance studios were not to be used except when a teacher was present. I found out the head of the department, explained what I was doing, what shoes I was using, promised I wouldn't touch the equipment, and explained that I wanted to practice in the mornings (from 5am - 6am or 6:30am) and she made an exception for me.

I've also practiced at another gym where the perfect room was locked until the first class at 9am -- I just asked -- they agreed to open it for me each morning.

Sometimes asking the right person, in person, helps. People want to be helpful. Good luck!

Don't know if it will help, ash_sk8s, but if you haven't done so already, try to find the head person responsible for the room and explain what you are looking to do and ask if there is any way to make it work. I was at a gym for a period of time that had explicit signs and policies that the dance studios were not to be used except when a teacher was present. I found out the head of the department, explained what I was doing, what shoes I was using, promised I wouldn't touch the equipment, and explained that I wanted to practice in the mornings (from 5am - 6am or 6:30am) and she made an exception for me.

I've also practiced at another gym where the perfect room was locked until the first class at 9am -- I just asked -- they agreed to open it for me each morning.

Sometimes asking the right person, in person, helps. People want to be helpful. Good luck!
Yeah a friend of mine who works at the gym said I could try asking really nicely, but she wouldn't count on it.

However, as I was deciding to look at other gyms and see how much day passes are, it dawned on me that most gyms offer trial memberships! So I now have a 2-week membership to 24 Hour Fitness and a 1-week membership to LA Fitness, so I can go practice there to prepare for competition in exactly 3 weeks. :)

If I had a partner I would practice at my studio (practice floor time is free for studio members) or at my gym, where there are two beautifully floored workout rooms that stand empty much of the time. Since I don't have a partner I can't do that much, although I have practiced my turns at the gym. Mostly I just practice in my kitchen.

Dance Ads