Whining Thread #2

Purr

So we have designated bike lanes downtown. Driving to work downtown in one block, I saw a cyclist in the lane next two the bike lane. In the next block, the bike lane moves over a lane. What does the cyclist do - he goes up onto the sidewalk! What is the point of designated bike lanes if cyclists won't use them correctly. It's hard enough to watch for the when they're where they're supposed to be, but somewhere else?

IndyLady

Furnaces are expensive. And, given where I live (and that it's only March, so still below freezing), not optional.

I feel poor. Thank goodness for emergency funds.
:(

We had to replace our water heater last week. The warranty had expired 6 months ago.

So nice that it could coincide with our basement finishing project. /sarcasm.

On a related note, wth, we are supposed to get snow tonight. It's mid-March! :mad:

FancyFeet

I'm trying to focus on the "not dying of carbon monoxide because of an old, faulty furnace" upside. And that I am enough of a planner to have not only a carbon monoxide detector, but an emergency fund healthy enough to cover the furnace replacement (so no need to use dance funds).

Still, haven't particularly enjoyed the adulting required by the last 48 hours!

RiseNFall

My usually very healthy emergency fund has taken enough of a hit in this past year that I am crossing my fingers that, for example, my 2004 car with 150,000+ miles lasts another year. I've let my teachers know that my plans are not quite as solid as they usually are. :oops:

j_alexandra

Furnaces are expensive. And, given where I live (and that it's only March, so still below freezing), not optional.

I feel poor. Thank goodness for emergency funds.
I feel your pain. Two winters ago, the 50+year old steam furnace that heats my father's big old house went down in flames. Just imagine what that cost. Plus, it burned out during a zero-or-less cold snap. Upside: discovered terrific heating contractor who *works on steam*.

cornutt

I'm trying to focus on the "not dying of carbon monoxide because of an old, faulty furnace" upside. And that I am enough of a planner to have not only a carbon monoxide detector, but an emergency fund healthy enough to cover the furnace replacement (so no need to use dance funds).
Yes. Pat yourself on the back, on both accounts.

cornutt

Upside: discovered terrific heating contractor who *works on steam*.
Wow. You still have that steam system? I recall the one that was in the old building (circa 1910) in the high school I went to. Talk about clunky. Banging, gurgling, hissing, cold radiators here and there, and the occasional random blast of steam from the bleeders were par for the course.

j_alexandra

Wow. You still have that steam system? I recall the one that was in the old building (circa 1910) in the high school I went to. Talk about clunky. Banging, gurgling, hissing, cold radiators here and there, and the occasional random blast of steam from the bleeders were par for the course.
Yup. Still have steam. And all those noises.

IndyLady

In theory I can appreciate the concept of seizing an un-anticipated opportunity... not so much in practice, when that "opportunity" is trying to pitch some MLM lipstick product to me while we happen to be in the same dressing room.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to do a double reverse spin, I'd freaking spin into you, run you over, and kill you before you could pull the gosh darn trigger. So frustrated

Dance Ads