Whining Thread #2

NURDRMS

Was all excited because I saw a sign for jalapeno burgers at Carl's Jr. LOVE jalapeno burgers. Got to restaurant, mouth watering, and found out they were selling jalapeno TURKEY burgers. Blech. So very bummed.

more falarking at work.. I can't download cad format of ordnance survey maps because my boss hasn't paid them for the last 2 years downloads, so i have to cut and past off other people drawings, and hope the photocopy of a scan of a pdf is still to scale. I do all this using scissors and glue and trying to get our drawing to fit onto the 'copy' and he goes and effing changes the position of the building on the site.....

then he asks me " are there two 'l's in 'brilliant'?

Peaches

*bang head on desk*bang head on desk*bang head on desk*

Special hell, special hell, Special Hell, SPECIAL HELL, SPECIAL HELL!!!

So help me, there is a special hell for people who don't document there work. There is an extra special special hell for people who don't do their work in any sort of logical or coherent fashion, and don't document it. At the very least, label your columns...that's not too much to ask, is it? Or naming your documents something logical? I realize that visual presentation isn't everyone's thing, and writing out actual desk guides/instructions might be asking too much, but naming and labeling? C'mon, people!

I don't even want to think about how much time I have wasted trying to reverse engineer things...time that could have been saved by documentation and/or coherent work.

Eeesh.

Peaches

more falarking at work.. I can't download cad format of ordnance survey maps because my boss hasn't paid them for the last 2 years downloads, so i have to cut and past off other people drawings, and hope the photocopy of a scan of a pdf is still to scale. I do all this using scissors and glue and trying to get our drawing to fit onto the 'copy' and he goes and effing changes the position of the building on the site.....
Wow. And I thought things were bad where I work. My sympathies.

then he asks me " are there two 'l's in 'brilliant'?
Tell him no.

cornutt

So help me, there is a special hell for people who don't document there work. There is an extra special special hell for people who don't do their work in any sort of logical or coherent fashion, and don't document it. At the very least, label your columns...that's not too much to ask, is it? Or naming your documents something logical?
What, QWERTY.XLS isn't self-evident? I feel the same way about programmers who don't comment their code, or only use cutesie comments that have nothing to do with what the code is doing. If a line of code is commented /* XYZZY */, it tells me you're old, but it tells nothing about the code...

Wow. And I thought things were bad where I work. My sympathies.
Tuesday he was asking me to do stuff whilst I was eating a sandwhich..just f*** off till i finish eating..:rolleyes:

he just ought to retire. I think its presenile amnesia. Now he's ommitted renewing his architectural registration, which is like driving without a licence, and the stupid thing is it cost three times as much to re-register. and he's had several reminders by email.

Purr

Tuesday he was asking me to do stuff whilst I was eating a sandwhich..just f*** off till i finish eating..:rolleyes:
I used eat lunch at my desk a lot. A lot of times the staff wouldn't show any courtesy during my lunch - they'd just walk in with questions and/or want me to do something for them.

Now at lunch, I'll leave the office and talk at least a 30 minute walk. I need the escape.

I used eat lunch at my desk a lot. A lot of times the staff wouldn't show any courtesy during my lunch - they'd just walk in with questions and/or want me to do something for them.

Now at lunch, I'll leave the office and talk at least a 30 minute walk. I need the escape.
me too. the weather isnt conducive to picnicing though at this time of year.

Purr

me too. the weather isnt conducive to picnicing though at this time of year.
Uhmmmm...the other day the temperature, figuring in the wind chill, had to be in the low teens :confused: ...and I still took a 30 minute walk o_O ...I just bundled up a lot...it's amazing how much getting out the office for a short period of time makes me feel better...:)

I'm looking forward to "picnic" weather, though. ;)

pygmalion

No, I'm talking about the actual text of the comment...

Evidence of the fact that P may THINK she's old, but she's really not... all that ancient. (This is not a free pass, however. lol) Did I mention that the first programming I ever did (other than in the elementary school Mentally Gifted Program) was in Assembly Language? And it was actually relevant at the time. Yep. I AM old. No doubt about it. P? Not so much.

pygmalion

Uhmmmm...the other day the temperature, figuring in the wind chill, had to be in the low teens :confused: ...and I still took a 30 minute walk o_O ...I just bundled up a lot...it's amazing how much getting out the office for a short period of time makes me feel better...:)

I'm looking forward to "picnic" weather, though. ;)

Brisk walks in icy cold weather are my fave, as love as there's no ice and I'm appropriately bundled.

cornutt

Evidence of the fact that P may THINK she's old, but she's really not... all that ancient. (This is not a free pass, however. lol) Did I mention that the first programming I ever did (other than in the elementary school Mentally Gifted Program) was in Assembly Language? And it was actually relevant at the time. Yep. I AM old. No doubt about it. P? Not so much.
Yep. Written lots of assembly in my time. I've even done a bit of COBOL, although I don't usually admit that in public.

Peaches

I guess that attempt at humor didn't work out at all... "XYZZY" is a magic word from Adventure, the first text-adventure computer game, circa 1980. (Does anyone even know what a text-adventure game is anymore?)
Ohhhh... Now I get it. Thanks for the explanation!

FTR, yes, I know what text-adventure games are. Like j_alex, though, I am so not a gamer (but surrounded by friends who are gamers, oddly enough).

Dance Ads