Whining Thread #2

pygmalion

Whine: Worried about DS, today. It's his first day back at school after a week off with bronchitis. He's on antibiotics, but he says he's "not a hundred percent." And he's not lying. He ate no breakfast, and looked very feeble when I dropped him off at school. (I drop him off just outside the school zone and let him walk the last quarter of a mile or so because driving under 20MPH is from hell. lol)

I'm expecting the school people to call me to come and get him. *sigh*

pygmalion

My phone died and it's just 2 pm, after leaving it plugged in all night, and not excessively using it. Either my charger is broken or my phone is. :(

It may just need a new battery. Maybe the guys/gals at the phone store can help diagnose the problem. ETA: The last time my battery dies, it had symptoms similar to yours. When I took it to the phone store, they plugged in one of their batteries and figured out my issue in about 30 seconds. :cool:

Whine: DS is STILL not 100%. He's in bed now, voluntarily, at 7:23 PM. This is not good. *sigh* At least his appetite appears to be coming back.

Peaches

Yeah. When I lived in NJ, there was a guy in the condo complex who kept a Great Dane in a second-floor, one-bedroom unit. When the weather was good, he left the dog out on his deck all day. The dog would bark ferociously at anyone who walked by below. I don't think he wanted to attack; he just wanted to interact and run around. But he could easily have jumped the deck railing, and I always worried that he didn't realize how much of a drop it was. So I usually avoided walking by there when he was out.
Our 2-doors-down neighbor has a Great Dane. In a town house. OK, fine. That bothers me, but not enough to get really upset about it. What DOES bother me is that they'll put him out back, on a cable...and leave him. I've seen the poor dog--from two houses away--shivering outside. Literally. I've watched him clear snow from the ground with his nose and then huddle on the clear-ish ground near a fence and shiver. I don't mind them tying him out (not a fan, but not the end of the world), but at least give the poor thing a doggie coat!

I keep debating calling...animal control? the police? What DO you do in this situation?

mindputtee

It may just need a new battery. Maybe the guys/gals at the phone store can help diagnose the problem. ETA: The last time my battery dies, it had symptoms similar to yours. When I took it to the phone store, they plugged in one of their batteries and figured out my issue in about 30 seconds. :cool:
I wish it were that simple. I've got a droid razr and the battery is pretty well integrated into the phone, removing it requires prying off the back and many reports online say that even if you get that far, removing the battery will often destroy your device completely. I'm guessing they probably won't do it in store then, those guys probably aren't trained for that.

And this is what my battery is doing. Sadness.

Attachments

samina

Our 2-doors-down neighbor has a Great Dane. In a town house. OK, fine. That bothers me, but not enough to get really upset about it. What DOES bother me is that they'll put him out back, on a cable...and leave him. I've seen the poor dog--from two houses away--shivering outside. Literally. I've watched him clear snow from the ground with his nose and then huddle on the clear-ish ground near a fence and shiver. I don't mind them tying him out (not a fan, but not the end of the world), but at least give the poor thing a doggie coat!

I keep debating calling...animal control? the police? What DO you do in this situation?
Ack. Poor thing. It's cruel to allow dogs without the coat for winter temps to stay out unprotected. Speaking as the owner of one...who requires a wardrobe not unlike a human's to brave the elements.

Still, I'm always in favor of mustering up the courage to deal with these things directly, through human relationship, rather than governmental agency. If at all possible.

pygmalion

I wish it were that simple. I've got a droid razr and the battery is pretty well integrated into the phone, removing it requires prying off the back and many reports online say that even if you get that far, removing the battery will often destroy your device completely. I'm guessing they probably won't do it in store then, those guys probably aren't trained for that.

And this is what my battery is doing. Sadness.

Oh so sorry to hear that. *sigh*

Ack. Poor thing. It's cruel to allow dogs without the coat for winter temps to stay out unprotected. Speaking as the owner of one...who requires a wardrobe not unlike a human's to brave the elements.

Still, I'm always in favor of mustering up the courage to deal with these things directly, through human relationship, rather than governmental agency. If at all possible.
Agreed.

pygmalion

Hmm. I agree that something should be done. Whether it's wise to confront the neighbor directly, I don't know. If you have some sort of relationship -- even if it's just to say hello in the mornings -- that's one thing. If you're strangers who happen to live two doors apart, myeh. Not sure I'd go marching up to the door of a stranger and say, "Oh btw. You're treating your dog cruelly."

We've already established that they're meanies ... with a great Dane. If they'll lock their (presumably beloved) doggie outside in the cold, what might they and their great Dane do to a nosy stranger? :D

Hmm. I agree that something should be done. Whether it's wise to confront the neighbor directly, I don't know. If you have some sort of relationship -- even if it's just to say hello in the mornings -- that's one thing. If you're strangers who happen to live two doors apart, myeh. Not sure I'd go marching up to the door of a stranger and say, "Oh btw. You're treating your dog cruelly."

We've already established that they're meanies ... with a great Dane. If they'll lock their (presumably beloved) doggie outside in the cold, what might they and their great Dane do to a nosy stranger? :D
Come, come. it will be "My name is Peaches. Do you feel lucky?
Well do you?" ;)

samina

I understand. The above is not what I'd recommend. And still, there may be a way to approach them about it.

pygmalion

agreed....they might simply be a bit dim....or they might be unkind...might be the ethical thing to find out before reporting them
True. At least where I am, though, it takes several reports before the animal cruelty people pounce on your head. First report is generally a warning, which might be what these people need. They might not know. The first thing I thought, when P mentioned the great Dane outside was, "But great Danes don't have enough fur to survive the cold." Husky? Sure. Great Dane? no. But not everybody knows that. I remember reports, back when those Disney Dalmatian movies came out, of LOTS of people buying then abandoning dalmatians because they had no idea how much care a dalmatian needs.

Maybe these people don't know. But how to protect the doggie and P at the same time? That's the hard part. *sigh*

Peaches

I hate it when I get held up with work stuff because I have to wait on other people.

Article--waiting for branch chief to finish his review (which I'm pretty sure he hasn't even started)...he's 8 days late at this point.

Review/revise a write-up about something: waiting for NPC to get his draft to me.

Projections: need key pieces of data from coworker who can't be bothered (even with cc-ing boss on the second request for information), need a meeting with boss-on-hiatus to figure out next step (I'm new on this, so no clue what the next step is.)

Current fiscal year reports: need raw data from the person who actually has access to the system with the raw data, I've been asking for a week but he's busy with other stuff.

Hm. I hate being in thumb-twiddling mode. I have other stuff I can do/find to do, but it's not what I really need to be working on currently. Sigh. Grumblecakes. Damn people.

Not quite sure if I should be happy or cry.
Bought a MTM pair of Latin Pants about 2 months ago and usually only wear it to comps, but decided to put it on for pratice today. Realized that, while for Waltz it's still OK, if I put on the strap thingi to keep the trousers down, the slide down when dancing Jive. So, I need to get them taken in. But then I only have one comp next term and will be home with the lovely cooking skills of my mom over summer. So not sure, if I should just not use the strap thingis during the next comp and wait how the trousers fit after the summer or get them taken in now and then end up with them being too tight after summer. lol.

I think I should just eat more :p

mindputtee

Depending on how they are made and where the problem is, you might just be able to move the hook and bar/button for the meantime and move it back later if you expand. ;)

Dance Ads