Whining Thread #2

Purr

I'm not sure where to put this, since it's a bit more than just a whine, but not worthy of the "Life is Hard" thread. Peaches and some other folks have written here of the impending furlough of U.S. government workers. Those of us who work for contractors have been following that situation, and all along, we've been told that the money for our contract is already appropriated and that we will continue working as normal, at least until the end of the fiscal year.

Well, between last night and this morning, that changed. We got blindsided with it in an all-hands meeting this morning -- no warning, no heads-up. And the thing is: I could understand if it was a funding issue. (Been there before.) But it's not a funding issue. We are fully funded -- but we're getting furloughed anyway.

First bit of panic was concerning our benefits, but I found out that as long as we work at least 30 hours per week, we're good on insurance. (The current plan is that everyone will be taking one leave-without-pay day per week.) However, this pay cut, coupled with the big pay cut that I took when I accepted this job, means that my salary is now back to about what it was in 1997, a total cut of almost half. Plus, my taxes have gone up, and my insurance is a lot worse.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since I know there are government people here who are also being impacted by this. But damn it. The fact that us being furloughed is being driven by politics rather than funding issues really P's me off.
I am so sorry to hear this. More and more people I know are impacted by the sequester, both government and contract workers. Damn it.

NURDRMS

I'm not sure where to put this, since it's a bit more than just a whine, but not worthy of the "Life is Hard" thread. Peaches and some other folks have written here of the impending furlough of U.S. government workers. Those of us who work for contractors have been following that situation, and all along, we've been told that the money for our contract is already appropriated and that we will continue working as normal, at least until the end of the fiscal year.

Well, between last night and this morning, that changed. We got blindsided with it in an all-hands meeting this morning -- no warning, no heads-up. And the thing is: I could understand if it was a funding issue. (Been there before.) But it's not a funding issue. We are fully funded -- but we're getting furloughed anyway.

First bit of panic was concerning our benefits, but I found out that as long as we work at least 30 hours per week, we're good on insurance. (The current plan is that everyone will be taking one leave-without-pay day per week.) However, this pay cut, coupled with the big pay cut that I took when I accepted this job, means that my salary is now back to about what it was in 1997, a total cut of almost half. Plus, my taxes have gone up, and my insurance is a lot worse.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since I know there are government people here who are also being impacted by this. But damn it. The fact that us being furloughed is being driven by politics rather than funding issues really P's me off.
you know, it may be about funding after all. I for sure don't know your individual contract situation, but we are discussing the possibility to descoping some contract work we have going for us. Is it possible that your company may be facing a similar possibility and your management is taking proactive steps (i.e., decreasing each individual's time charged by 20% versus waiting until the descoping happens and having to lay off workers)? Either way, it sucks.

I am truly hating what's going on with the budget right now. I sit in meetings all day long, doing 'what if' budget drills and we don't even know what funding amounts we're supposed to be planning for. Not to mention what will happen if we don't have a budget (or at the very least another continuing resolution) by the 27th. Meanwhile, nearly all travel is cut and our young officers are being 'trained' to become better leaders via video teleconferencing, not the most effective means by far. This is NURDRMS speaking, not Major General NURDRMS, but I am disgusted with our Congress.

pygmalion

you know, it may be about funding after all. I for sure don't know your individual contract situation, but we are discussing the possibility to descoping some contract work we have going for us. Is it possible that your company may be facing a similar possibility and your management is taking proactive steps (i.e., decreasing each individual's time charged by 20% versus waiting until the descoping happens and having to lay off workers)? Either way, it sucks.

I am truly hating what's going on with the budget right now. I sit in meetings all day long, doing 'what if' budget drills and we don't even know what funding amounts we're supposed to be planning for. Not to mention what will happen if we don't have a budget (or at the very least another continuing resolution) by the 27th. Meanwhile, nearly all travel is cut and our young officers are being 'trained' to become better leaders via video teleconferencing, not the most effective means by far. This is NURDRMS speaking, not Major General NURDRMS, but I am disgusted with our Congress.

Yeah. Everybody is too busy playing the blame game to get the job done and oh btw run the country. *sigh* All sides guilty. Epic fail.

Talked to DS and the Ex. So far,the boy's internship is still on. Now if only he wanted to go. :D

cornutt

Did the company say why you were being furloughed, when you already have the money?
It isn't the company's decision. The government is telling them to do it.

Or what they would actually _do_ with that funding which wasn't being spent on the project like it was supposed to have been?
What we were told is that the period of performance for our contract will be extended enough to cover the unused hours at the end of the contract. But our money people aren't sure how that is going to work, or even if it's legal.

now I am getting really tee'd off with my boss. we have done a few house schemes for a builder. They all have the same stuff internally but one works far better on the site than the others. But to hear my boss trying to explain this to the guy over the phone is jus embarassing. now he is going to talk it through with him over the phone when I'm not here. he's just a rat imo. and he's posting drawings out the builder today, with maybe a 1 in 3 chance of them getting there tomorrow.

its all money....

Lioness

I hate some customers...

Tonight a guy came in just after midnight to play Keno (lotto game with short draws).
He was here for 2 hours, and only left after the lottery terminal shut down for the night.
While he was there I couldn't do any of my normal cleaning jobs, as they involve leaving the staff area behind the counter. I couldn't clean, or anything, because every 5 minutes he'd want another ticket. The whole time he kept trying to strike up a conversation. Dude...if you're here for 10 minutes, I'll talk all you want. But I've got way too much stuff to do tonight to spend 2 hours doing nothing. Go feed your gambling addiction elsewhere.

Peaches

Tomorrow marks 10 years since the Iraq invasion. Am writing to my brother.

Tears streaming. Hate crying.

Hate, hate, HATE crying.

Also can't breathe. And have a headache. And am now annoyed with myself for crying.

Damn.

Peaches

He is, and he is out of the military.

His wife has asked people, if they want, to write something to/for him, about that time.

Sooooo many memories and feelings dredged up...

Purr

Minor whine...I had a flat time on the way home from work yesterday...called Triple AAA...help arrived within the promised 45 minute timeline to put the spare on...I dropped the car off this morning at the dealership because I need the tire replaced (it can't be fixed)...I am waiting to hear from the service tech on the state of the other tires...if at least one other tire is bad I may end up replacing all of them...

Lioness

Following a bit of a break down tonight, BF has convinced me that I need to drop a subject and do a 75% load.
I agree...but I don't really know if I should. That would make uni half a year longer, and put off eventual travel to Japan.
OTOH, 28 hours a week of work, while barely supporting me, is making it super hard to fit in any study. Something has to give. I would love to be able to get a higher-paying job in a market I'm interested in...then I'd only do 15 hours a week, and get paid practically the same...

Dance Ads