Whining Thread #2

JudeMorrigan

The irony is, I grew up in Florida in a home without an A/C. You'd think that if anyone would be ok going without, it would be me. But I am so very over summers (or very late springs) in the deep South.

FancyFeet

Coworkers should have instruction manuals.

How on earth I was supposed to divine that after two days of me e-mailing back and forth directly with a contact on an issue (c.c.ing the coworker so he was in the loop) and two meetings on the issue where the coworker said not a single word, he wanted me to "check with him" before signing off on where we landed on the issue. He has oversight of the program, I have responsibility for all performance monitoring, and we were talking only about performance monitoring (I admit, of the program he's overseeing, hence the c.c.).

I'm still confused about the level of animosity that I caused... and really kind of offended that despite my apology for the misunderstanding and commitment that I'd check next time, he walked away while I was midsentence and refused to speak to me about what he'd like me to do to correct the situation. I've decided to not care, but I can't seem to convince my brain to let it go...

dancelvr

You know what's even more awesome than having A/C troubles in Alabama in June? Waking up with neck pain. I suspect it's a result of my having slept badly last night due to the heat.
I so understand that....which is one reason why I love the Pacific Northwest, and the fan sitting next to my bed. :)

Coworkers should have instruction manuals.

How on earth I was supposed to divine that after two days of me e-mailing back and forth directly with a contact on an issue (c.c.ing the coworker so he was in the loop) and two meetings on the issue where the coworker said not a single word, he wanted me to "check with him" before signing off on where we landed on the issue. He has oversight of the program, I have responsibility for all performance monitoring, and we were talking only about performance monitoring (I admit, of the program he's overseeing, hence the c.c.).

I'm still confused about the level of animosity that I caused... and really kind of offended that despite my apology for the misunderstanding and commitment that I'd check next time, he walked away while I was midsentence and refused to speak to me about what he'd like me to do to correct the situation. I've decided to not care, but I can't seem to convince my brain to let it go...

power play..shrug it off...you are not responsible for his feelings, nor his inablity to communicate what he needs...

NVC:
2. Do not take responsibility for the feelings of others. This is another trap that one must avoid. If someone is upset with you, or with anything, it is an attribute of that person, and it is not about you.

jees..I am in an oap home masquerading as an architects practice..

b*sshole asks for me to print 3 drawings off...half an hour he asks for exact same 3 drawings for exact same contractor..do I point out this. Has he forgotten? or are they for someone else entirely and he is just be inefficent...

I need another job where there is at least a semblance of sanity...

and he doesnt do drg issue sheets so there is no record of what is issued to whom and when......o_O:mad::nurse: .

Lioness

Been thinking about my career path and uni degree and stuff...and I don't know whether I want to be a teacher anymore...

I don't know what started it, but now I'm thinking what do I do with three years of Uni I've done so far. If I finish at the end of the year, I can graduate from my Bachelor of Arts and then at least have a degree so I can travel and maybe do some ALT teaching in Japan...If I decide to do teaching after all, then I can probably get credit for the teaching courses I've already done, and I can do a postgrad teaching qualification.

But then, like, what do I do in the meantime? Go to Japan and teach ESL for a year or two...that'll be fun. Then what sort of career do I want? Teaching's always been a thing I've just figured I would do, because I know I'm good at it. But when I don't really want to do it...what do I do instead? I'm vaguely thinking of doing interior design or some kind of trade. There's a really cool degree at one of the Unis here that covers interior design plus basic furniture design...that'd be amazing, but it's an extra 4 years of study. The money side of it isn't an issue, because of the way our government funds university, but I don't really want to spend another 4 years in Uni...I'm sort of sick of Uni. So then I'm maybe thinking doing a trade in the military, or maybe a freelance writing/editing job. But then I think of interior design again, and considering that teaching earns pretty much a max of 72K a year, with little to no career progression, and interior design has a whole lot of career progression opportunities. But I sort of want to have a stable, full time job, even if I'm not earning huge money (because, frankly, anything is better than what I'm on now) by the time I'm 25.

I just don't know. I'm really confused.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
maybe finish this one thing and then use it to finance the next thing...and take a bit of a break?...see how the teaching feels and make some money...then decide ?

Lioness

That's vaguely what I'm thinking...I finish my arts degree and then I can go overseas...ALT teachers earn around 35000-40000AUD a year, and the positions often include subsidised or free accommodation. That's more than enough to save up something to have a little set aside.

FancyFeet

Some tough decisions! I remember going through it not that long ago... I kind of went to grad school because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. And totally normal to ask these kinds of questions at big transition points!

Do you have to decide right away? From what's been posted here and on other threads, sounds like a break might help you figure out whether this is just temporary or permanent fatigue.

Short-term summer internships or something might also help you explore some other things you could do career-wise.

Just food for thought.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I applaud the rational thought...it is hard to be enthused about anything at the tail end of it...you just want to be done...but seeing it through and trying it out seems wise...at least find out...shrug...the great thing about being young is that you don't have to have it all nailed down...dh didn't make his true ultimate career choice until he was in his late 30s...and the things he did before that informed it and financed it...it will all iron out

Lioness

Yep. At this point I'm pretty much set on graduating this year, assuming I pass my super-hard course this semester and don't have to retake it.

The only maybe-barrier to going overseas next year is that BF and I have always said we wouldn't do long-distance more than 6 months at a time...now it's possible he could come with it, but he's just started a video game design studio (how cool!), and might not be in a great career and financial position by the time I'm ready to go.

Having said that, I'm sure we could work around that. I'm pretty sure, and I think he's pretty sure, that this is going to be a really long-term thing. We could make it work.

Lioness

It's political but I don't think there are enough Aussies on here to cause a fuss...but long story short is that we have our first female prime minister and she has continually been the target of sexism and crude misogyny by the opposing party AND a whole lot of Australians...A lot of people hide it behind "I just don't like her", but in reality most of the criticisms, and often by high-visibility journalists and politicians, are based on her appearance, her marital and family status, and her gender. In the last week alone, we've had a fake menu appear mocking her physical characteristics...at a political fundraiser for the opposing party (look up menu-gate if you're interested...I don't really want to post it here because it's pretty crude)...and then a high profile radio host ask whether her de facto partner, a guy, was gay, because he's a hairdresser. Despite the fact that they are living as a couple, and despite the fact that no other prime minister, ever, has needed to provide "qualifications" on their partner's sexual orientation.

And a whole lot of Australia still thinks that is ok.

EDIT: also in the longer term...she gained the leadership of her party by replacing the old leader in a coup...then held an election and still managed to win...this happens in politics all the time...happened in the opposing party many times over the last lots of years...and she is the only PM being called a liar and a backstabbing bitch.

Dance Ads