Whining Thread #2

Please be forewarned or a rant
My new roommate is addicted to small kitchen appliances. But actually. In the last 4 days a huge pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker, an actual rice cooker, an electric tea kettle, and my personal favorite, a soy milk maker, have appeared in our kitchen. Not sure why we couldn't use the multifunctional pressure cooker for rice and the microwave instead of the electric tea kettle, but I have got to find a way to tactfully get it all off the counters or it is going to drive me bonkers and we haven't even made it through 1 month yet. Also she has bought enough food to feed a family of 4 for a month. I already had to kick her out of 1 of the 2 vegetable crispers in the fridge so I wouldn't have soggy veggies. And she keeps leaving her stuff on the bathroom counter.
End rant.
I think I'm going to try to talk to her about what our expectations in terms of apartment cleanliness are tomorrow

bia

I think I'm going to try to talk to her about what our expectations in terms of apartment cleanliness are tomorrow
Yes, very good idea. And in fact would have been a good idea even if she weren't already doing things that bother you. You know this, but just a reminder -- try not to let your rant-worthy frustration into the conversation. I once had a roommate blow up at me about thermostat settings when she had never once mentioned her preferences for thermostat settings. Just one of the many little things she hated about me but would never bring up calmly. It was such an enormous relief when that year was over and I could be in my apartment without feeling resented.

Had the conversation with her this morning. Went very well I think. We reached a compromise that satisfied both parties- the giant muklti cooker thing will live in hall closet when not being used, rice cooker on top of the fridge, tea kettle near microwave and soymilk maker under the sink. I'm very proud of my self for having the conversation and framing it as "I'm a super neat freak and I would really appreciate it if you would accommodate me" rather than " you suck at life and I hate you" because she is actually a nice girl. Bia- I would have had the conversation earlier except between my vacation and her vacation we've only been in the apartment together 2 nights. Good thing we took care of it early. Turns out communication really does work:)

Lioness

Uni is getting crazy hard so naturally I'm having heated arguments with my lecturers over stupid attendance requirements, eating too much, and getting sad and stressed.

Aura

Uni started today, but I actually don't have classes on Monday this semester. That's a plus. The minus is that, socially speaking, my heart needs a rest.

bia

I'm shocked--shocked!--that lecturers actually want you to attend their lectures! :eek:
Yup. You may of course feel that you don't get anything out of the lectures. But do recognize that it is highly insulting to tell someone that their job and the time and effort they put into it is worthless. (One of my least favorite student questions: "I wasn't in class yesterday. Did I miss anything?" Oh, no, not at all, I just stood up there and babbled about nothing for an hour and a half.) That said, I'm sorry you're stressed and sad. Do try to breathe!

nikkitta

Well, to be fair, some put very little effort into their lectures, and you might as well just read the textbook. Having spent some time in the academic environment, I was dumbstruck when I overheard one of the professors say she hadn't prepared for that day's lecture yet. Unacceptable. And she didn't seem to feel guilty or bad about it.

bia

Well, to be fair, some put very little effort into their lectures, and you might as well just read the textbook. Having spent some time in the academic environment, I was dumbstruck when I overheard one of the professors say she hadn't prepared for that day's lecture yet. Unacceptable. And she didn't seem to feel guilty or bad about it.
Sure, that's where I was going with "you may of course feel you don't get anything out of the lectures." I have no idea whether they're worth her time or not. I just meant that it's not strategically productive to argue with these possibly useless lecturers about their attendance policies, because in doing so, you're telling them to their face that they're useless, and whether it's accurate or not, most people don't like that. Plus, whatever the reason the attendance policy is in place, it's hard to convincingly make an argument that you're more special than the other students and therefore the rules shouldn't apply to you. So, you go to class or not; if not, you know that in making that choice, you're subject to the penalties of the attendance policy, and you decide if the extra time you get that way is worth the penalty.

I love dealing with doctors offices. Really, I do. I especially enjoy the whole "let's try to make the patient feel like a bad person for needing an appointment on a time scale that's not best measured in months".

(My apologies to the MDs here. In my defense, I'm frustrated and in pain. On the plus side, I do have a doctor's appointment for next week.)

SwayWithMe

My town has been buried in smoke from wildfires for more than two weeks straight. The air is so bad that we're supposed to stay inside as much as possible. I feel ill, and I hate it. I want to go for a walk in fresh air and sunshine!

Lioness

As for lecture...my Uni prides itself on being accessible, and a vast majority of subjects upload their lecture recordings online for students to access. Every class uploads the lecture slides.

Frankly, with this lecturer, his lectures are 100% not worth going to. He ums, and ahs, and waffles on, and gets around 20% of his lecture slides covered, then tells us to read the rest at home. I'd rather be spending that hour doing assignments that are worth actual grades.

Either way, it turns out that he was using my first-year picture, where I look completely different. That's why he thought he hadn't seen me.

Dance Ads