Whining Thread #2

dancelvr

One of my precious cats has stopped eating, and is drooling like crazy. I'm thinking....dental problems, perhaps? *sigh* I don't need a big vet bill during a time when I'm not getting paid. And, those idiots in DC are no closer to opening the gov't than they were a week ago. But, I can't let him suffer....:(

nikkitta

Totally bratty whine, because I honestly do feel awful for her: My pro's other competing student broke her foot yesterday. She gets a refund for the comp next weekend, while my cost goes up by, what, $1500? That's half of the new Rhythm costume I was hoping to buy in the next few months. Not fair. :(
Completely unreasonable is more like it. Certainly not everyone can just cough up an extra $1500 with a week's notice.

dancelvr

Totally bratty whine, because I honestly do feel awful for her: My pro's other competing student broke her foot yesterday. She gets a refund for the comp next weekend, while my cost goes up by, what, $1500? That's half of the new Rhythm costume I was hoping to buy in the next few months. Not fair. :(
Um.....I'm having trouble computing that much of an upgrade in cost. And, I believe it's outrageous, IMHO.

SwayWithMe

Whoa everyone! It's all transparent, that number is *my* guess based on now paying all, rather than half, of my pro's daily rate and expenses for him and coach.

It'll work out, it just sucks all around. I'm just glad for my friend that the comp will refund for medical reasons!

Sania

One of my precious cats has stopped eating, and is drooling like crazy. I'm thinking....dental problems, perhaps? *sigh* I don't need a big vet bill during a time when I'm not getting paid. And, those idiots in DC are no closer to opening the gov't than they were a week ago. But, I can't let him suffer....:(
I'm so sorry - I have cats too and I know what it's like to stress out when they are sick pr suffer. If he / she is not eating, it's important to seek attention immediately as not eating can lead to fatty liver disease (hepatic lipidosis). We went through that with one of my cats last year and part of the treatment involved wrapping her in a towel and feeding her special food via finger three times a day.

Grr, I was all set to break down and buy a plane ticket for my Chicago comp in a few weeks. I normally drive, but my partner's family is making a vacation out of it, so I'll be going up separately. There's another guy from my studio that I *could* go up with, but he wants to come back Sunday. We're competing Sunday. That'd be an obnoxiously long day even in the best of circumstances. If we get stuck in Chicagoland traffic, we'd pretty much be hosed. Anyways, my whine is that the plane tickets are $100 more today than they were Friday. Flippity flap. Now I'm wondering again *just* how much I want to avoid having to drive back Sunday. I suppose I *could* drive up myself, but that's not exactly a cheap prospect either.

That's a thought. I suspect I'm going to wind up just cheaping out though and carpooling where I can. I had been rather looking forward to the possibility of doing a comp that wasn't bracketed by obnoxiously long drives though;. :-/

Hedwaite

Sometimes, nice people can be real a--holes. People like me, who are usually blunt and awkward get a bad rap as jerks, but let someone who can "get along with everybody" with fake sincerity and all that sugar-coated "I stay positive!" BS do something really shady, it's okay because they didn't mean it that way. It's not dancing I get frustrated with, it's these people who think that just because you don't say something untrue to someone's face, it doesn't count as a lie, especially if you're doing it for "their own good" the way parents flush a dead goldfish and tell their poor dumb kids it took a vacation. I really hate people who think little things like that are okay to do to other people.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
for me; being blunt doesn't automatically make you more authentic...there is a way to be candid...and I find that many people who excuse a lack of self-control for authenticity to be equally self-deceptive...shrug...behavior is a judgment call...I find it more productive to monitor my own .....people are messed up....all of us...in different ways....certainly some of us are trying harder than others to behave with integrity...but, in the end, I think that most of us are going to find annoying people nearly daily...I find that as I get older, few of those people are worth my time or reflection...I am trying really hard to comment on, concentrate on, and enjoy those who give me hope and happiness...it's not like the jerks are going to change for me

stash

*Headdesk* friend is dumpee of relationship of 2 months, would still go back to him if he called and changed his mind, even though he broke up over the phone cuz he didn't have guts to tell her in person that he couldn't handle long distance. Hope she stays strong. Spineless dirtbags should be avoided, no matter how nice you think they are.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
right......and I am not meaning to sound like I am chiding you for your right to feel that way and post it here...it just kind of reminded me of a consequent irk and about what I try to do about it...sorry about that

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
*Headdesk* friend is dumpee of relationship of 2 months, would still go back to him if he called and changed his mind, even though he broke up over the phone cuz he didn't have guts to tell her in person that he couldn't handle long distance. Hope she stays strong. Spineless dirtbags should be avoided, no matter how nice you think they are.
yea but it's always easier to get over your friend's spineless dirt bag than it is to get over your own...when it's your own, sometimes you have to keep letting him hurt you until you get tired of it...not sure why...but ...seems to be how it goes...women in particular seem to have a rough time getting the concept of "when someone treats you badly, they mean it"

Purr

Purr: After a "bad dance" like that, I usually have to have a "redemption dance" like the silver you mentioned. It's kind of a "get back on the horse" overcome sort of thing I do. I don't have to prove to myself I can follow- but I do like it when they see that I'm not "broke" when I'm dancing with someone who doesn't need fixing themselves. It's lost on people like that, though, because in their mind, they're right, and everyone else is wrong.

I have to honestly say I learned more about how to follow by dancing with "bad leads" than I ever did with good leads. I like being adaptable, and for the most part, I am moreso than many other follows in the area, but there are always the one or two (or five, now that I'm thinking of names) leaders who can't lead their way out of a wet paper bag with a flashlight and a Garmin... and want to blame the follower- when they're not "in-dance teaching" them.

To date, however, I do want to nut-punch the guy who messed up my shoulder by cranking me too hard in WCS (I will dislike WCS until "the party crowd" learns to develop some actual technique for the safety of lead-follow, and not lie to themselves about what's really going on- disclaimer: the not-party-crowd is exempt from this rant). I won't dance swing or hustle with anybody but my partner, my private students, and my coach, because I like my parts too much to crack them up by stupid.
The newbie lead I mentioned in a previous post did the same thing with a couple of other follows, including one teacher, that he did with me. After thinking about it, I would have been willing to give him another chance if he'd shown up again at a social dance, but he didn't. I'm sure you're right he was oblivious to me dancing with someone else, thinking that our bad dance was my fault.

FancyFeet

Do people not know how to ask questions anymore? Just fielded a lond, rambling work call about a minor issue from about 2 months ago where I asked - three seperate times - "what is your question?". I'm still not entirely clear on what they wanted, but they're going to forward me an e-mail chain, so hopefully I can piece it together from that. Grr.

My internet at home is broken. Company says its a miswire and wants to charge $90 to come out and fix it. Really? I don't think our internet cables randomly rewired themselves poorly after 3 months of fine internet. Also, they can't come until friday. Gonna punch someone in the face.

Dance Ads