Whining Thread #2

cornutt

Neither the DW nor the heat pump are doing any better today. Worked for two hours on the heat pump with no success. It's turned into a block of ice. The usual problem when this happens is that the defrost cycle isn't being initiated by the control board. However, in this case I've verified that the board is working and the defrost cycle runs -- but when it does, the ice doesn't melt. Very odd, and beyond my skill level with these things. Time to bring in a pro.

stash

Cousin won't let me buy her prints of her engagement shoot, though in my eyes it's a continuation of my wedding gift to her... Grumble Grumble, just accept the gift :p

Hedwaite

I tried Peter Thomas Roth Instant Firming eye goop today.

I'm still having difficulty facially emoting, but my forehead is actually TIRED from it holding up my newly-tightened eye-bags. This stuff is INSANE.

Hedwaite

The whining part was my forehead. It actually felt "tired" after holding up the rest of my face. The goo itself was fantastic- though another whine is that it is inevitably quite expensive.

You can find it on ebay, but to try it out, check out any Sephora or Ulta. In fact, they had little bitty "trial" or travel samples for ten bucks at Sephora until they ran out on Black Friday. The stuff's $38 in stores, but yes, you can find it slightly cheaper at QVC, Ebay, etc.

stash

Grad school... No grad school.... Grad school... No grad school... I can't make up my stupid mind... Does someone have a flower with lots of petals that can help me decide?

chomsky

friends or activity partners? friends or activity partners? why not both? why do I always need that stupid petal to make up my mind? go to the social or stop going to?

stash

I wanna go to it. Especially since I have the school picked out, and a plan of how to make it work around other commitments, ie family, work, ballroom ( :p ) and other life stuff... I'm just worried about fiances mostly.

stash

Lol. Already watched my dbf go through the hell of a phd. :p Luckily, my field (if I go full time) is only a 2 year masters program. My main concerns are finances lol. Grad school ain't cheap.

bia

I wanna go to it. Especially since I have the school picked out, and a plan of how to make it work around other commitments, ie family, work, ballroom ( :p ) and other life stuff... I'm just worried about finances mostly.
It sounds like you've done a lot of the important thinking, and hopefully the "work" component in there will help with the financial implications. Are you confident (as far as possible) that the program you've chosen will prepare you for what you want to do? That this is in fact what you want to do? That you can't do it without grad school? That opportunities exist for it once you graduate? That those opportunities are likely to pay well enough that the financial burden will be relatively short term? If these are all yes, just do it. If not, it may be worth more thinking.

ETA: Sorry to sound preachy; my academic advisor hat got stuck on my head.

Hedwaite

I hate when do-gooders don't think to ask before taking it upon themselves to helpy helperton a situation they have no business in, and therefore disrupt carefully-laid consistency that was WORKING until they arrived. Consistency is KEY when working with dumb (and even smart) animals. Deviate from pattern ONCE, and they default to bad behavior.

stash

It sounds like you've done a lot of the important thinking, and hopefully the "work" component in there will help with the financial implications. Are you confident (as far as possible) that the program you've chosen will prepare you for what you want to do? That this is in fact what you want to do? That you can't do it without grad school? That opportunities exist for it once you graduate? That those opportunities are likely to pay well enough that the financial burden will be relatively short term? If these are all yes, just do it. If not, it may be worth more thinking.

ETA: Sorry to sound preachy; my academic advisor hat got stuck on my head.

No no no these are all good questions that I'm asking myself. I do have the ability to be hired on full time from my current internship, so I'll have a decent gs7 salary. I plan to work for half a year after I graduate before I jump into grad school, to pay down some debt and hopefully save some. Will they be able to pay well enough for grad school, I think so. But time will tell. I don't know exactly what my salary would look it. It may only be able to cover part time, which I am ok with.

I am as confident as I can be that the program will offer what I want. The professors are some of the leading professionals in the field that I am trying to break into. They will be able to provide mentorship in a field that is otherwise very hard to get any advice in as everyone see everyone as competition. (Trust me, I have tried poking around looking for advice outside of my undergrad classroom and all I are vague answers. I have also scouward the interwebs any bits of info that would help.)

I could go about it on my own. And that is an option I have been considering as well. I mean I'm trying to do my best currently, and working on opening up avenues now. But it's hard, and having a mentor to guide those sort of interactions would be a tromendous help. There will be, hopefully, plenty of opportunities after I graduate. I will just have to find them, seek them out, and make it work.

I have time to think, but it's not going to last forever :p

Dance Ads