Whining Thread #2

Lioness

Stupid hardware store guy told me superglue would work better than wood glue for what I wanted. Now I don't have any wood glue and the superglue is just soaking into the wood and not bonding anything. So grumpy. I wanted to get this done before work and now I'm not going to be able to because all the shops are shut.

stash

Had a great weekend, which was promptly ruined by my return home. Sorry to all the parents who tread these forums, but the way my mom is handling whatever situation we are dealing with is completely childish. I'm not saying I'm the right/perfect/adult here, because I will admit I'm probably not doing 100% of what I could be... However, I can only do so much, and try and become my own idependant being all at the same time. I love her dearly, I really do, but I just don't know how to preceed from here.

All that I know is that living at home was probably the biggest mistake I made in college.

RiseNFall

Had a great weekend, which was promptly ruined by my return home. Sorry to all the parents who tread these forums, but the way my mom is handling whatever situation we are dealing with is completely childish. I'm not saying I'm the right/perfect/adult here, because I will admit I'm probably not doing 100% of what I could be... However, I can only do so much, and try and become my own idependant being all at the same time. I love her dearly, I really do, but I just don't know how to preceed from here.

All that I know is that living at home was probably the biggest mistake I made in college.
No apologies needed to this parent. I think it is a very difficult situation. I encouraged my son to go far enough away when he went to college that he wouldn't be tempted to live at home. He thanked me for it recently. It is expensive though. CAN you move out?

mindputtee

I lived my first two years on campus and then my second two at home. When I moved home, I agreed with my parents that we were going to treat my living at home like I was still living on campus (I still paid for my food and gas etc, and they weren't paying for my education so I got some leniency there) and it worked out very well for us.

stash

No apologies needed to this parent. I think it is a very difficult situation. I encouraged my son to go far enough away when he went to college that he wouldn't be tempted to live at home. He thanked me for it recently. It is expensive though. CAN you move out?
Could I afford to move out on my own? No. Unless I moved to a very unsafe area in a terrible apparent, and even that is questionable. Luckily I have a very amazing boyfriend who would take me in as long as I help out with food and the like, though that would add another layer of tension to what's already there. It wouldn't be easy, and we haven't gotten there yet. My mom and I had an ok conversation via email today and we both agreed we need to talk. Though I am just wondering what the backlash from my dad will be...

@mindputtee I'm glad that someone had a good relationship with their parents like that, but it's different when you aren't an only child. I am the center of their attention. And I have not lived away from them at all, that's also very different. They haven't been able to experience the empty nest syndrome yet and they are clinging on for dear life. My parents are also paying for my education. Like I said, I'm glad some people can have good outcomes from living at home, but not this chick...

That must be rough, stash. I can't imagine doing that with my parents. I like my situation now- I'm five minutes away from them, but living in my own apartment (small town midwest perks of really, really low rent). I see them everyday, but having my own apartment (and job so they aren't paying for everything) really makes it a lot easier to draw boundaries (like they no longer get to say that I'm dancing too much because they aren't paying for my school...)

I bet it is especially hard over the holidays with everyone at home--- hang in there!

Hedwaite

Ugh, PLEASE don't let it become more like facebook. I'm so sick of Duck Dynasty, "There's nothing greater than being a mom and everything else sucks and is going to hell," and my favorite "I'm watching to to see if you repost this crap so I can be snivelly about it later" copypastas.

stash

That must be rough, stash. I can't imagine doing that with my parents. I like my situation now- I'm five minutes away from them, but living in my own apartment (small town midwest perks of really, really low rent). I see them everyday, but having my own apartment (and job so they aren't paying for everything) really makes it a lot easier to draw boundaries (like they no longer get to say that I'm dancing too much because they aren't paying for my school...)

I bet it is especially hard over the holidays with everyone at home--- hang in there!
I am! I wish I had a job that could pay for everything. Then this wouldn't be a problem. Stupid school and stupid expensive housing within the area.

stash

Whine #2... There's an application in for the puppy Rodeo we saw on sunday :/ I mean we can't get him right away anywho, but but but we didn't expect someone to put an application on him :( shouldn't be too surprised, he was sooo adorable and lovable... humph the search continues for the perfect shelter pet.

Lioness

Fun fact...if you offer to host Christmas, your job includes more than just flapping around your house pretending to do something useful. It shouldn't depend on your mother in law and your half sister to cook, clean, and decorate.

Yesterday was a big huge "we're not having Christmas here ever again" party. She did nothing. Everyone is 500% sick of her posturing and relying on everyone else to do the hard work.

Don't get me wrong...I love seeing BF's family...they're great...but she's nuts and I'm over her crap.

Hedwaite

I banhammered "Big Christmas" a few years ago for stupid BS like that. Now, it's meeting in the afternoon, swapping gifts, opening them, and going out for Chinese or Waffle House.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
mercifully, we only have that on thanksgiving... and it is unavoidable...I do Christmas so that it isn't an issue.... I am exhausted...but at least it is only because I chose to be...not because someone else couldn't cope with life

Hedwaite

I made the stupid mistake of giving the cat Skittles. I didn't think she'd eat them, and no, she didn't, but it was so cute the way she hooked them in her little fluffy hand and looked at them... and then swatted them all over the place. Hmm. That backfired.

Fun fact...if you offer to host Christmas, your job includes more than just flapping around your house pretending to do something useful. It shouldn't depend on your mother in law and your half sister to cook, clean, and decorate.

Yesterday was a big huge "we're not having Christmas here ever again" party. She did nothing. Everyone is 500% sick of her posturing and relying on everyone else to do the hard work.

Don't get me wrong...I love seeing BF's family...they're great...but she's nuts and I'm over her crap.
So true… My favorite post of the year!

Thank you.

Lioness

Next year BF's mum is hosting...we are making our own way down there, or not as we wish (she is a 9 hour drive away), and small family Christmases seem likely. Suits me fine.

For today's whine...I love bf, dearly, but he is a very unattentive driver, and as an attentive driver my life is full of "has he seen that" because I don't want to point it out and seem like a backseat driver but I also don't wanna crash.

And I have to remind myself that he drives every day and is fine by himself, but it's a challenge.

Dance Ads