Whining Thread #2

Lioness

Are there no follows in this bloody town who dance am-am Standard?
<snarl, growl, bay at the moon>
Pssst come move to adelaide I need me a leader.

Whine: want to start doing some dance photos while I don't have a partner, but lenses are expensive. Really don't want to buy a lens that costs 4 times as much as my camera did.

stash

Pssst come move to adelaide I need me a leader.

Whine: want to start doing some dance photos while I don't have a partner, but lenses are expensive. Really don't want to buy a lens that costs 4 times as much as my camera did.
I've been working with a tiny-ish lens (ie 35-80mm) for the most part for my project, mostly because light is the issue and this lens is faster than most of my other zoom lenses that my parents have gotten for me or have handed down to me. However, in the US there are places that rent out lenses for a small fee. You can see if you really need the lens you want (I'm guessing a telephoto as those are the ones that are hugely expensive) or not. IDK if they have something like that in AU.

Or look for used equipment. I don't know if B&H services you, but they have a great used market and a really good reputation, where you can use a lightly used lens for much less than what new ones retail for.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
F is 48, lives in NW Indiana and dances full silver to closed intermediate gold and is between five ft six and five ft 7....with what I consider to be pretty respectable credentials

sigh, bought what looked like a full fringe dress from Shall We Dance designs, turns out it was missing two rows of fringe in the middle. It was on clearance so they're saying it's a final sale.

cornutt

I've been out of serious photography for a while, but back in the days when I was slinging a 35mm, the rule of thumb was that third-party lenses cost about half of OEM lenses of similar quality. For Minolta A-mount, which was what I used, Sigma was the third-party manufacturer. I had two of their zooms, a 35-70 and a 75-210, and those did the bulk of my shooting. I had a Minolta 50mm for low-light situations and a Minolta 28mm fisheye (which I later sold; I didn't find much use for it).

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
if you are talking to me, obviously a male Am is not likely to be as strong a dancer as what I am accustomed to, but I think that there are more things to consider than that...:)...anyhow, off to work I go...just thought I would throw it out there

stash

Whine: calf raise I did while developing my film for 20 minutes made them sore. What's worse it pulled on all my other muscles that are attached to my scoliosis (minor scoliosis but still enough for constant pain) ridden back which made sleeping last night rough. To top it off, because I'm not on the lease yet to the fiancé's apartment, I don't have a key. So I had to vacate my bed way earlier than usual. shm...

Really not in the mood to go to drawing class today, or printmaking. But away I go...

FancyFeet

Think that I have dropped enough weight that it's affecting the fit of my shoes. My new pair (same model, etc. as my last couple of pair) feel too wide. Supdance tells me the shoes I love and have been happy with don't come in narrow. Do I try smaller? A different style?

Let the shoe selection process begin (again). *sniff*

JudeMorrigan

Thanks. I should probably clarify on the second part so that noone thinks it's anything *too* serious - I think I'm 90% sure at this point that my relationship with my am partner is irredeemably broken. I've been expected to need a new partner anyways since she's moving in the fall (or maybe not - not that she actually communicates with me), but this isn't the way that I'd wanted things to go down.

Dance Ads