Whining Thread #2

Hedwaite

A student in one of our classes (I've mentioned it here before) has bumped up her major-major surgery to this month. The class is a very small group of friends who all go out for dessert after class and parties. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the best get-well gesture besides an everybody-signed card. She's into great coffee and chocolate and sparkly things, so I think I'm going with a small gift basket of that sort. Can anyone suggest a rare go-to treat for coffee or chocolate that isn't run-of-the-mill? I live in the armpit of the world, so sadly, my idea of "fancypants" snacks is going to the small international store in the college town nearby and getting cacao nibs and guarana soda.

Lioness

How do two tiny animals make so much poop in one day?! I gotta stop feeding them...

Also it messaged the guy about the tryout...he's already found a partner! It's been a week. Damn.

FancyFeet

Just checked, and details about my planned next comp are up... and they're requiring double the normal number (around here) of single dances to be eligible for scholarship. Pro and I have been working toward a scholarship debut at this comp for the better part of a year... and now I don't think I can afford to do it. Just the pro fees and entry fees puts me in the range of what I had budgeted and have set aside... add in my costs and pro's expenses and I don't think I can swing it. Feeling super-bummed.

Wondering if pro will cut me a flat-rate for his fees for this comp... they are the most expensive line item on the comp budget. Scared to ask, but I'm going to have to tell him that I don't think I can do our planned dances at the comp soon, so it might come up.

mindputtee

A student in one of our classes (I've mentioned it here before) has bumped up her major-major surgery to this month. The class is a very small group of friends who all go out for dessert after class and parties. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the best get-well gesture besides an everybody-signed card. She's into great coffee and chocolate and sparkly things, so I think I'm going with a small gift basket of that sort. Can anyone suggest a rare go-to treat for coffee or chocolate that isn't run-of-the-mill? I live in the armpit of the world, so sadly, my idea of "fancypants" snacks is going to the small international store in the college town nearby and getting cacao nibs and guarana soda.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/184759137/gold-crystal-drip-hot-cup?ref=shop_home_active_12
https://www.etsy.com/listing/177361543/pink-crystal-ombre-starbucks-cold-cup?ref=shop_home_active_11

Does she like starbucks? You could fill one of those with chocolate covered espresso beans then.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Just checked, and details about my planned next comp are up... and they're requiring double the normal number (around here) of single dances to be eligible for scholarship. Pro and I have been working toward a scholarship debut at this comp for the better part of a year... and now I don't think I can afford to do it. Just the pro fees and entry fees puts me in the range of what I had budgeted and have set aside... add in my costs and pro's expenses and I don't think I can swing it. Feeling super-bummed.

Wondering if pro will cut me a flat-rate for his fees for this comp... they are the most expensive line item on the comp budget. Scared to ask, but I'm going to have to tell him that I don't think I can do our planned dances at the comp soon, so it might come up.
that bites...and I have to say that if organizers would like to really cut down on entries and cater only to the richest of the rich, that's certainly the way to do it....if you are saying that a comp is now requiring two sets rather than one in order to do a scholarship...well....that bites...I hope you aren't....but if you are, please pm me the comp so I can make sure not to go in the future

Hedwaite

Have any of you who stoop to the level of teaching group classes to the commoners ever taught with an in-hand microphone? Also, have you ever taught a class without lining up leaders on one side and followers on the otherside whatsoever?

Hedwaite

Also, I think I'm going to try to do a gift-card for Starbuck's (wish we had a Gloria Jean's instead), or at least some good chocolate.

What a night. You don't ask someone to volunteer for a four hour event, then b*tch at them and try to tell them how to do their job- about which you know nothing- the whole time. Moral of the story: ALWAYS clearly define parameters and expectations beforehand. This one's on me- I was curious to see what would happen if I let an event coordinator have enough rope to hang themselves with, so that I know for certain which failsafes to keep in place for the next time.

cornutt

Have any of you who stoop to the level of teaching group classes to the commoners ever taught with an in-hand microphone? Also, have you ever taught a class without lining up leaders on one side and followers on the otherside whatsoever?
Not a group class, but I've done some lecturing with a hand-held mic. Never had a problem with it. However, for teaching a group, you might look into a headset mic and a wireless setup. You don't want to be dragging a cord around; it will get in the way.

I've never seen a group taught without lining up leads and follows, except for a few specials like rhythm recognition classes. I'm not sure how else you'd do it.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have seen a coach give a worshop that started with everyone onthe same wall moving to the opposing wall doing basic forward motion foxtrot and also for rumba walks

Loki

I have seen a coach give a workshop that started with everyone on the same wall moving to the opposing wall doing basic forward motion foxtrot and also for rumba walks
Oh yeah, lotta that in newb classes at some places. I've seen it in beginner AT classes also.

Haven't taught dance, but wireless mikes are the way to go.

FancyFeet

if you are saying that a comp is now requiring two sets rather than one in order to do a scholarship...well....that bites...I hope you aren't....but if you are, please pm me the comp so I can make sure not to go in the future
That is indeed what I am saying, and will PM you. The entry fees plus pros fees that I would have to come up with to do it, on this amount of notice, are probably just not do-able. Still super-bummed... was looking forward to playing with the big girls for the first time!

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
that is really a shame...while I could absorb that cost, I know that I am better off than over 50% of competitive dancers....so it saddens me that it will discourage many people...I hope the organizers will re-think that in the future....I would contact them...particularly if the rule was changed recently...one year usdc changed some rules very near to the comp which would have a significant impant on me and I already had non-refundable hotel sitution, and they honored their rule for the previous year

Hedwaite

But somewhere where you've been specifically allotted a very small time-frame, like a birthday party or "for fun" social event that's not traditionally instruction-conducive?

I hate mics, but I can see the need to invest in a headset now. Trying to teach with a hand-mic was... ugh. We're just used to projecting over fifty people who "be quiet", I guess, but some acoustics do call for it, regardless of how respectful people are.

vulgar language removed

Last edited by a moderator:

RiseNFall

that bites...and I have to say that if organizers would like to really cut down on entries and cater only to the richest of the rich, that's certainly the way to do it....if you are saying that a comp is now requiring two sets rather than one in order to do a scholarship...well....that bites...I hope you aren't....but if you are, please pm me the comp so I can make sure not to go in the future
Any reason not to name the comp on the forum? It is publicly available information.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I was curious and I personally didn't wish to single anyone out...it was a personal choice...I also didn't feel that I needed to put fancy feet in that position....for a variety of reasons.....and I still feel that way...besides that, anyone who will be competing pro am is supposed to read the requirements for every comp they attend so there is no real need for us to go there

Hedwaite

I personally wouldn't advocate PowerWording an entity on here unless they did something really, really terrible that I felt obliged to warn someone about before they made a mistake, or I had gotten 'hooked' and didn't want someone else to go down that road.

Dance Ads