Wine Thread

DancePoet

I once heard that a good sauv blanc smells like cat pee...that really blew it for me:rolleyes:
I suspect the person was confused.

My understanding is that if Sauvignon Blanc is over exposed to the sun and or picked before it is ripe, then it does take on a litter box like smell, but I wouldn't say this would be "good sauv blanc". ;)

DancePoet

so do you know anything about Vouvrey DP?...I don't care much for whites..I am a cabernet girl...but I love a vouvrey with seafood or fruit especially in the summer...not unlike a dry reisling....now dh is a pinot noir fella
See post #13 on this thread for an Viognier description. ;)

DancePoet

well, either way...just can't bring myself to drink it now
Sauvignon Blanc does tend to have a sharp smell, with flavors of grass, gooseberry, olives, bell pepper, grapefruit, melon, vanilla, and butter to name a few.

I've found that it does seem to be more enjoyable for me when blended with other whites.

DancePoet

not the viognier...the Vouvrey
Oh, Vouvray ... yes, that's a French style wine, made mostly, and usually completely, from the Chenin Blanc grape. Very little expereince with this. If I recall correctly, some of the flavors often found with it are almonds, honey, and melon. Works well with chicken and veal meals.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Not sure. Perhaps you are referring to the acidity of the wine?

Can't recall pepper in the Pinot Noirs, I have no experience with the Syrahs, and they have made some very good Viognier's.
I have only had the cab and the syrah and it was most notable in the cab...and I had NEVER sensed it in any other wine...

Peaches

Oh, wow, I'm glad to hear it!

I've read it twice now, and I just find the language so beautiful and the thoughts so comforting.

Dance Ads