Wine Thread

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
not much has been said about chardonnays...personally I have only found a few nice buttery ones...the rest are way to oak-y...make sense?...any suggestions?

DancePoet

Chardonnay is a relatively delicate grape. And when it is aged in a barrel for too long, then it takes on an overly oaky flavor. I don't mind tasting some wood, but too much ruins the experience.

However, when done correctly, Chardonnay can have apple, apricot, pear, peach, vanilla, and nut flavors, along with a variety of citrus and tropical fruit flavors, and flowers, too. Because of it's frail nature, this grape can have a wide variety of styles depending on how it is vinted.

I'm not a huge fan of this variety, but I like having a bottle available. One recent success was a 2002 Columbia-Crest Chardonnay. These are relatively inexpensive and can be found in a grocery store, although in many situations the 2003 is now available. I'd recommend snapping up a 2002, not the 2003, if you can find one, and it's drinkable now.

DancePoet

Also had a 2002 Bouchaine Chardonnay and a 2004 Crane Lake, both a little ways back, but neither was very thrilling.

Another interesting white wine was the 2004 Paringa from Austrailia. This has 47% Chardonnay, 38% Semillon, and 15% Sauvignon Blanc. It is a very good example of how a chardonnay can be blended correctly, despite it's fragility.

DancePoet

crane lake...isn't that what they call "two buck chuck"?
The wine store I picked that bottle up from had it on their $15 and under table, and I believe it was like $8 or $9. Figuered I'd give it a try. Part of the adventure is trying the cheap stuff to discover a good find.

I had bought one recentlly at around $11.50 called Monte Volpe, a 2001. It is made out of the Tocai Friulano white grape, and believe it or not it came from Redwood Valley, CA. What a scrumptious find! :D

And by the way, I bought two more bottles of that one. ;)

Joe

crane lake...isn't that what they call "two buck chuck"?
No. "Two Buck Chuck" is Charles Shaw, carried (at least now) by Trader Joe's. It used to be $2-3 a bottle (hence the name) but I think it's now in the $3-4 range. Not the greatest wine in the world, but it's wet and it'll get you just as loaded as any other bottle of non-fortified wine. ;)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
The wine store I picked that bottle up from had it on their $15 and under table, and I believe it was like $8 or $9. Figuered I'd give it a try. Part of the adventure is trying the cheap stuff to discover a good find.

I had bought one recentlly at around $11.50 called Monte Volpe, a 2001. It is made out of the Tocai Friulano white grape, and believe it or not it came from Redwood Valley, CA. What a scrumptious find! :D

And by the way, I bought two more bottles of that one. ;)
I hear ya...gotta confess my favorite cheap one was a bland(gasp, shudder)...it was like gewurztraminer, syrah and zin I think...called menage a trois and oh my my, what a lovely threesome it was:cool: ....I also love vinum from south africa but can no longer find it anywhere....pouty stomp

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
No. "Two Buck Chuck" is Charles Shaw, carried (at least now) by Trader Joe's. It used to be $2-3 a bottle (hence the name) but I think it's now in the $3-4 range. Not the greatest wine in the world, but it's wet and it'll get you just as loaded as any other bottle of non-fortified wine. ;)
as I mentioned before...given my issue with volume, that works for me:rolleyes:

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
peaches...from michigan...Tabor Hill Classic demi-sec...moderately sweet and heavy...bob hope's favorite wine and a regular selection at the white house in years past....

probably any reisling would ring your bell as well

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
you may have trouble finding it...which is why I also suggest any reisling...but give it a whirl...but any good liqueor vendor can order it for you

Vince A

Two of our favorites:
Rosemount
Incredibly fruity, the grapey '01 Rosemount Estate Balmoral Syrah delivers succulence par excellence; long and lacy on the palate; a good choice with hamburger and melted brie. Just about anything from Rosemount is good.

Cline
A solid example of the varietal, the '05 Cline White Truck Chardonnay delivers ripe fruit flavors with a slight creaminess; long and lacy on the palate; a fine everyday white for the house. This is a $45 bottle of wine that can be purchased for under $10 . . . talk about "a good buy!"

DancePoet

I hear ya...gotta confess my favorite cheap one was a bland(gasp, shudder)...it was like gewurztraminer, syrah and zin I think...called menage a trois and oh my my, what a lovely threesome it was:cool: ....I also love vinum from south africa but can no longer find it anywhere....pouty stomp
By the way, forgot to mention the 2004 Sonoma-Cutrer Russian River Ranches Chardonnay. Fairly enjoyable if you can find it, but it won't be under $15. ;)

Peaches

More on topic, what is considered a good/reasonable price for a nice wine?

DP mentioned one, but said it couldn't be found for less than $15--which implies that $15 is a comparatively high price. But given that my "everyday" champagne runs $30-$35, it seems absurdly low.

DancePoet

I like to buy wine under $20 if possible. I buy more of the $20 to $30 bottles, then the $30 to $50 bottles, but a person really can fine some nice stuff for under $20, like the one I mentioned on the intial post. It cost me like $16 and was very, very good. :cool:

Dance Ads