yesterday's activities

pygmalion

I hear ya, ccm. I can't sustain this level of exhaustion. OTOH, I refuse to shortchange my students just because of an organizational/systemic issue that has nothing to do with them. (I bet this is something you can understand.)

So, yesterday when I arrived at work already so exhausted and overwrought that I was at the point of cussing, I reached a decision. Instead of doing more, I did less. I got my class materials ready and handled emergencies only. If the other stuff doesn't get dealt with, it won't.

I will work this weekend (I have this really cool idea that involves coloring :lol:) but I will work only because teaching is one of the few aspects of my job that doesn't feel like work, AND because I enjoy teaching even more when I am well-prepared.

BUT ... I am going to log and take comp time for this weekend, as soon as possible. I'll need that time for unpacking, anyway.

You're right. I can't voluntarily choose to kill myself then complain when I feel half-dead.

Thanks for the reality check. I needed it. :-D

ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
6:30ish--Up.

8:20--Child to school.

8:35--To work. Prep like madwoman. See, day before I marked 34 short (~1 page) student exercises for ENG 1101. I try to average no more than 10 minutes per 1-page exercise, but that still represents almost 6 hours of work marking papers...and since this is ENG 1101, there are quite a few surface-level grammar errors which can wear me down. So after that, I wasn't in the mood to do more ENG 1101 work and left some of the prep for today.

9:10--ENG 1101. Most talked about putting more concrete info in your essays.

10:20--GLC. Spent a little more time on Baden-Powell's Scouting for Boys, then moved on to the Igguldens' The Dangerous Book for Boys (2005), comparing and contrasting. It was great fun.

Lunch. Look at some USDSC results from the day before.

12-2--Office hours. Mark 13 more short exercises. Finish around 3. I feel like I'm the only one left on our floor! At least at this early point in the semester, Fridays are a ghost town.

Home. Yay: new copy of Unofficial Guide to Disney World has arrived. Start browsing and picking out my priorities. I'm pretty chill on vacation, so I feel like it's nice if everybody picks like 3 rides or attractions they would like to do. Anything else is bonus. Oh, and at Universal, we only really care about Harry Potter...and won't even ride all three rides. (Child and I both have motion sickness issues.)

Fridays are Family Fun Night in the ChaCha household. (This is my new policy.) This week, Child proposed we watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." (I had shown her clips on YouTube, but she had never seen it all the way through...and probably haven't watched it all the way through since college in the late 80s!)

Put Child to bed. Read her some Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey.

Read some of Zadie Smith's NW to myself while Child drifted off. So far, this book is NOT doing it for me, I am disappointed to say. I loved her White Teeth, and quite liked On Beauty.

Fumble around trying to set things up on computer.

10-1:30 AM--Watched StarStreamers coverage of USDSC. Go Nik!!! It started from a first round, and they made it to the semis, which is about what he would have expected. I thought there was an outside chance they would grab the final place in the final. They won the Professional 10 Dance back on Wednesday. Proud of my teacher.

Sagitta

Friday - Woke up at 8am feeling the my left eye is still not too bad (Went to doctor yesterday who wasn't too much help, and said I might be developing a stye, and there isn't much I can do about it, so resting the eyes as that seems to help me. Not as much df...) Did a couple posts for my blog. Got inspired and tossed out a couple, scheduling them of course so that I have posts for my future Wednesdays and Saturdays (new posts every Wed and Sat is what I do). Did a little dancing at the Jazz Hour at the nearby dance club, plus cooking (split red lentils, rice, steamed green beans...). So cooking, blogging, and dancing was my Friday.

Sagitta

So, yesterday when I arrived at work already so exhausted and overwrought that I was at the point of cussing, I reached a decision. Instead of doing more, I did less. I got my class materials ready and handled emergencies only. If the other stuff doesn't get dealt with, it won't.
I am glad that the one woman who wants to do the work of four has changed her mind. Otherwise, there might be the need for some? :bkick::bkick:

;):)

j_alexandra

Abbreviated version:

Sunday, an on-again off-again kind of day; evening, a friend comes over and we set the world to rights and go through my music library; she leaves with 150 new songs
Monday, who can remember?
Tuesday: gyro, things improve; lesson, things improve and new stuff is introduced *again*; deal with Spouse; whatev
Wednesday: take father to airport @4:30am; home, nap; Lesson, in which more new stuff is introduced

j_alexandra

Thursday
To HFKAM to pack stuff to ship
Take STBX-Spouse to bank so we can close some accounts; spend waaaaaaaaaay too much time in his company, toxic crap all over me, feel like I need a shamanic heaing or something afterward
Go see DB#1 and chat; helps
Go see BGF and go shopping
Home; go hang out with dance buddies
Home; z

it's weird being in the house alone; the nephews disappear for overnights, sometimes, and it's just me and the cat

j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson, in which yet MORE new stuff happens
Pick up DB#1 and BGF and go dance shoe shopping; DB#1 scores 6 pair of shoes; she wears a size 4 1/2 and likes thick heels, even on latin shoes, such shoes are difficult to find, so the store is happy to get rid of their clearance rack's teeny weeny latin shoes, makes a massive price reduction, and DB#1 is happy beyond words, a win-win
Take BGF to DB#1's house, where they have a sewing conversation
Drop BGF off, then go home
Shop for paint chips, fabric samples, etc the old fashioned way: leave the house and enter actual stores
Decline an invitation to go dancing with a man friend who wants me to come largely b/c he's bringing another woman and does not want her to get any romantic ideas
Read, z

ChaChaMama

Saturday:
Read some Zadie Smith NW.

Grocery shopped, I think.
Made black beans.

4--Drove Child to sleepover party.

Black beans for dinner.

Husband and I watched "The Social Network." Slowly but surely, we are trying to catch up on movies we have missed.

Learn that Husband is going out of town Monday-Wednesday, which dumps a ton of Child transportation duties on me. (Normally he picks her up from school on Monday and takes her to skating that evening. I do Tuesdays and Wednesdays.) This is NOT okay. I have meetings with students running straight through AND a mandatory social event from 4-6. I'll do it because I have to, but this is a real problem.
He is again traveling SIX DAYS this month. Boo!

Sunday:
Slept until 9.

10--Fetched Child.

Read some Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey with Child.

Went in to work and wrote a letter of recommendation.

Neighborhood picnic and meeting. I get elected president of our homeowner's association b/c I don't say "No" adamantly enough.

5.5 miles on treadmill. Really good workout...and a good thing, because there will be no way I can squeeze one in Monday or Tuesday given how insane my schedule will be.

ChaChaMama

Monday:
6:30--Up.

9, 9:20, 9:40--Student appts.

10:20-11:20--GLC. Finish discussing The Dangerous Book for Boys. Start Marie Stopes' Married Love.

Run home over lunch break to walk dog.

12:40-2:10--VICTORIAN LIT. Jane Eyre.

2:15, 2:35--Student appts.

Sprint across campus. Go pick up Child at school.

3:30--Student appt. 3:50--Student drop in. We were supposed to be at an English Dept social event by 4, but do not make it until 4:30.

4:30-5:10--At English Dept party. Have to leave early, though, b/c need to...

5:20-5:40--Let dog out, Feed Child, have her get changed. To ice skating.

6:15-7:15--She skates. I read.

Grocery store on way home to pick up a couple things.

8ish--Work on getting Child to bed.
She decides to sleep with me...and rolls into my space. Dog wants to sleep with us too. Cat would prefer to sleep lying on me, though I nix this. Not the most fabulous night of sleep I've ever had!

3wishes

Yesterday, call a plumber, to stop that DAG NAB IT - sound coming from
our master bath toilet. No it wasn't a leak.
Call work, inform them, "I know there's alot to do and plan for my retirement but there is this plumbing issue in my house".
I can hear the collective groan of my co-workers and boss. SIGH.
Plumber shows up in 10 minutes after call... WOW!!!
Checks under the house, check Master Bath toilet, askes me a few questions.
Askes me, is there an outside water faucet on the other side of this exterior wall?
Yes, is my response.
We go see,,,,I hold in all the explosive thoughts now running through my head.
He turns the handle on the hose bib that leads to the pool.
We go back inside - he checks Angle something in the toilet.
No sound, he notices toilet is "rocking" he tightens the toilet to stablize it.
Smiles, says no charge...not even a service charge for his time....
and laughs about the water running into the pool due to my neighbor
who is our pool man (this is his profession - pool service) and didn't tell me
he turned on the water to dribble into the pool, therefore making that whining
noise throughout my bedroom.
Plumber leaves, I walk over to neighbors house,
Knock Knock..."dear neighbor" the next time you have the desire to "fill" my
pool with water you need to TELL ME - I do work, DH is on the road,
I've now missed an entire day (as my day starts at 5 a.m.) - of work because
you dear neighbor didn't bother to come back and turn the dribble water run
OFF!!! or even leave a note for me.
ARRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
ok, decide to make lemonade out of lemons.
Paint inside of coat closet, Paint inside of guest bedroom closet as we are
moving my widowed step-father in with us.
Call from Pro - confirming lesson.
Call from DH and DS who are in New Orleans.
Both agree that Boubon Street is AWESOME - DS is walking the jeepers out of DH on the streets before our national meetings take place.
DH says "when did he get such long legs"....uhhhhhhhh,,,ohhhh, 26 years ago dear.
DH is laughing throughout entire conversation about DS and his experiences on Bourbon Street.
AHHHHH Father/Son bonding...it's so much better for them when I'm not there. lol.
Stare at DH's workout room...which I was suppose to convert to Route 66 decor - now cannot as contractor is delayed at another job. ARRGHHHH.
Head out to lesson, return unused paint primer to big box store, pick up new
gallon of flat white for inside of closets.
Lesson is GREAT - re-starting standard.
Pro askes me about going to OSB for Smooth which is on a Wednesday - SURE...until he informs me no one else is going - to which my reply was
uhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I'm not booting the entire cost of your expenses as much as I would like to do smooth at OSB.
Brain engages, "you can get that new kitchen counter and backsplash for the amount OSB will cost you"....
Discuss grand opening of Studio for next Thursday.
Head home, watch DVR'd shows.
Put feet up....
Look at all the STUFF that came out of two closets...really?
Two tiny closets held all that STUFF.....I've got to have a yard sale....as
I stare at my sofa which is overflowing with closet stuff.

ChaChaMama

Tuesday:
AM routine plus dog stuff. (Normally Husband takes Child to school on Tuesda, but he's in Chicago.)

9, 9:20, 9:40--Students appts.

10:10-10:40--FYS workshop run by peer mentors.

11:10--Student appt.

11:30-1--Faculty meeting.
Little tempest in a teapot: Faculty member criticizes a decision mentioned by the Dean of Students. This faculty member has a fairly high pitched voice and talks fairly quickly and shrilly when she is annoyed. The Dean of Students, clearly not liking being criticized, replies "Mreow!" Another faculty member jumps in and says "Excuse me. A faculty member had a legitimate question. Your reply was very disrespectful."

1, 1:20, 1:40, 2--Student appts.

3--Pick up Child.

4--Get ready for dance.
4:30--Take Child to dance.
5-6:30--Junior Ballet/Tap/Jazz Combo class. (30 mins each.)
6:30-7:30--Junior Hip-Hop I/II.
7:30-8:30--Junior Int/Adv Ballet. (Intense!!!)

Home. Put Child to bed.

Work on publicity for 10th anniversary performance of VagMon at my college!!! (I believe I am correct in saying that Eve Ensler first wrote and performed the play in 1996, and the V-Day movement started in 1998. My college joined in 2004. Last year there were over 5800 benefit events in 140 countries. :) ) We are trying to get as many cast alumni as possible to come back and hope to make this a huge fundraiser. I also am hoping we can maybe do some supplemental projects.

Instantly start getting HUGE amounts of feedback on FB and quite a few people committing to being here for that weekend. :) :) :)

3wishes

Wake up
check painted with primer coat closet (while staring at the STUFF on sofa)
check guest bedroom closet also painted with primer (staring at more stuff on bed).
the thought of a potential move from this house passes through my brain and I shutter at the mere thought - after seeing the stuff from two small closets.
Jeans and sneakers - it's time to pack my office today.
Hit the door running at work,,,shredding, tossing, filing, packing.
Co-worker arrives back from Florida - she appears to have truly enjoyed her visit with her mother and brother - and at least is not crying while she watches me pack - I realized this is BIG, HUGE, and I smiled at her - for the first time in 3 weeks she is not crying about my leaving.
Co-worker takes me to lunch - local Italian - this is also HUGE - this is the last thing she would eat given a choice. I share my thanks for the lunch date and conversations.
We decide to meet up in Florida next year, she visits her family while I visit my family at the same time. lol. we're serious.
Boss Man "can I see you a minute"....this is NEVER a good statement.
Every person in my group watches while I walk the hallway down to his office.
Interesting conversation.
Homeward, geezz it's hot and humid - So. Calif feels like Texas in the summer.
arrggghhh.
Haul out wall paint - finish paint coat closet, door trim, baseboards. Same for guest room.
Escape paint odor by going to practice party at studio. ahhhhh fresh air.
homeward, watch The Voice - I've gotten hooked on this show...and I love
Adam and Blake - they do play off of each other.
Check paint again in closets....darn it...that STUFF doesn't magically disappear does it? as it sits there in the living room staring at me "still".
lol.
Start browsing ads for gas range, counter height double ovens - after reading DF-ers opinions on their own ovens and experience. Happy thoughts of baking again without heating up the kitchen so much put me to sleep!

ChaChaMama

How did the beans turn out? I'm always looking for new legume recipe ideas.
They turned out great. I use this recipe from the Chevy's Fresh Mex cookbook (though I modify it and, for example, throw in more garlic and oregano. Because I can.)

I love when I make a big pot of something--like black beans or chili--and then can get several nights of meals out of it. I'm lazy like that and do not like to cook every night!

ChaChaMama

@Cornutt--I hope your wife and instructor feel better soon.

Trying to get used to this new look for D-F! I think I'm going to like it, but there will be a bit of a learning curve.

WEDNESDAY:
Usual AM routine.

8:20--Drop off.
8:35--At work.
9, 9:20, 9:40--Student appts.
10:20-11:20--GLC. Handed out paper topics and discussed expectations. Discussed Marie Stopes' Married Love, a 1918 sex manual.

Lunch.

12:40-2:10--Victorian Lit. Handed out paper topics and discussed expectations. Discussed Jane Eyre, ending with the question of how Rochester rehabilitates himself.

2:15--Student appt.

3--Pick up Child.

Unlike Monday and Tuesday, we actually got some downtime after school! Yay.

Then dinner, getting ready for ballet.

7-8--Primary/Junior Int Ballet. Child was very pleased b/c the instructor placed her front and center during center work. Good for her esteem. In her more adv class, she is one of the least advanced; here she gets to be a role model.
P.S. The teacher also pointed out her hair as an example of how ballet hair should be done. <Pats Self on back for doing a good bun.>
I read Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her while Child danced.

Put Child to bed.

Husband came home from Chicago sometime between 1-2 AM. I was not awake.

THURSDAY:
Thursdays are supposed to be my sleep-in day, but Husband was dog-tired and did not get up, and someone has to make Child's lunch and take her to school. So I nominated me. I did, however, told him that he owed me. ;)

5.5 miles on treadmill. Shower. Quick bite of lunch.

Double Nik lesson!

Knocked a few items off the to-do list, including reading a paper to help resolve an incomplete from Spring 2012.

VagMon interest meeting.

Told Husband some work-related gossip he missed while out of town, which he found most amusing.

Stayed up too late writing in diary.

Dance Ads