yesterday's activities


Site Moderator
Staff member
finally getting back to the real can pretty much sum last week up as; drive , dance, drive...and this week as ; sleep

but we do have fun plans for today and tomorrow with friends...and all of next week will be catching up on all of the stuff I was putting off until comp was over...THEN, it will finally be back to life as I know it


Well-Known Member
Yesterday, dress nicely for work (yes, there is a difference between everyday work clothing and being honored taken out by all your co-workers) heh heh heh.
All of us walked to "pete's cafe" on 4th and main...where oh where has this magical restaurant been all my work life? a vintage building, menus that change with the availability of fresh food...and really good friends.
Magic happens.
Even people who NEVER attend a lunch for someone - show person DROVE miles and miles in traffic,,,,I was STUNNED, FLABBERGASTED, SURPRISED when he came jogging up the dress with a huge smile....and swore I wouldn't....I promised myself don't don't don't....
AND THEN...another person....drove...and entered the restaurant....and with that...the tears of joy, happiness and complete udder surprise at the effort to have time with me....became,,,overwhelming.
I couldn't think of a better way to spend time with people I work closely for and with.
Discussions, laughter, smiles, tall tales and remember when's abound....
Walked slowly back to work with everyone...we all posed for a "men in black with sunglasses" movie poster postures......and it was outright HYSTERICAL as people in cars stared at us.
Good times.....
Call from pro after I got home,,,,can you babysit number 2 son....YES YES YES...4 month olds are soooo great to play with.
Head to studio,,,,introduce myself to Michael....and his big blues and great he makes every attempt to stand up on my lap. Such fun. wonderful day.


Well-Known Member
3w. That sounds like a boo-hoo worthy day, in a very good way. And a day for laughs, and nostalgia and all sorts of other good stuff. I hope you have many, many more wonderful experiences as you say goodbye to your old life and embrace your new one.


Well-Known Member
I do not remember the last time I checked in. Thumb nail. (Most days have been similar.)

Work like a bat out of heck. Home. Dinner for DS. Mercifully, he takes the initiative and gets his own homework done without any intervention on my part. I conk out early. Up for a few hours in the middle of the night to design and write up/assemble training materials. Nap. Back to work. Wash rinse repeat.

A few interesting things have happened. One. I went to Barnes and Noble to look for the Malcolm X book ccm recommended. They don't have it, not even in their online ordering system. I find this baffling.

DS's new Vans -- "dress blues" arrive. The boy is wearing size 12s, these days. The darn shoes are as big as he was, when he was a newborn and all swaddled. I have a serious moment of clarity. My baby is a young man, now. More high-school-related stuff happens. It's like I can see him evolving every day. Wow. And, to make it even worse, my GFs with grown children all concur. It goes fast, from here. Once they start high school, it's a blink of an eye until they are grown and gone. *sigh*

I have an interesting run-in with a coworker, in which I realize that I have finally gotten to the place that I've long wanted to be -- a place where I truly have no need to be liked. This has been a long time coming, and I plan to savor it. Very liberating.

Ex comes in town for an overnight visit and I manage to avoid seeing him for even a moment. I also manage to avoid any feelings of angst, whatsoever. This, too, has been a long time coming. Thank you Jesus I'm finally free.

I spend some time in a classroom, which I love, and end most days exhausted in a good way.

I follow the politics around the upcoming US presidential election with great interest. I suspect this may be another one of those years when I will be proud to have exercised my right to vote. Lots of good TV (and online content) out there, right now, if you're into political debate, which I am. Doesn't matter which side folks are on (or should I say facet?) I just love watching and/or engaging in intelligent, well-reasoned political debate, and there's lots of it out there, these days. Speaking of which, @ccm Salmon Rushdie will be a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher next Friday (on HBO.)

Yesterday: I gave a GF my tickets to Six Flags and finally spent an entire evening and night fast asleep. Must make a trip to the gratitude thread.

Today is another day. :)


Site Moderator
Staff member
friday...go to a friend's zumba class then teach my own bike and bench class...home to soup and a nap...dh has taken the day off to take more of dtr's "stuff" to Evanston as she moves from her marching band camp dorm room to her regular room...she takes him to a bakery and then "walks him " for me :)......dh comes home and goes to bed as, son calls to wish us happy anniversary and we ARE in bed, but not as one would have it....we exchange cards and get ready to head into the city...we have dinner with high school friends whom we have not seen for over a decade, at Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, a tapas place, and it was superb.... then we see "Million Dollar Quartet" at the Apollo which we also enjoyed....home around midnight, exchange the warm hand shake of friendship and are again out cold as I had to be at work today at 7 am to teach spin, only to have no one show up...which is not unusual for spin classes on saturday morn at 7 in nice sure I have time to go back to bed as we are headed to Cubs game soon with same friends, then off to Harry Carey's for dinner....all of which is stressful b/c I have been dieting....but I will navigate it, even without spin class


Well-Known Member
Seriously? 111 degrees yesterday. UGHHHHH.
Notified of brush fire headed to the Getty Museum...NOOOOOOO, I scream in brain...why oh why!
I resign self - leaving is not going to be easy....note...Santa Ana Winds are starting...NOOOOOOOO.
Take a cold shower. Really, not even attempting to go into pool,,,ready myself if I have to go back to work after arriving home,,,monitor fire reports.
Head out to coaching lesson in Standard.
Very fun, as I had issues remembering patterns and figures (it's been a year).
Homeward - Met with Italian Catering service for my open house next Saturday.
Start looking at odd little places to explore on our 6 week road trip...first leg....northeast to Detroit Henry Ford Museum. hmnmmmmmmmmm.
Say a silent prayer, Dear God, you know we no longer have our motorhome - which puts DH and I under a small roof of my Acadia suv...for 6 weeks. Please Please Please...Dear Higher Power - give me the patience of a saint while we both are traveling the highways and byways together in our small allocated space and stop me from the urge of taking over the driving or pushing him out of the car so I have alone time. Thank you.


Well-Known Member
...Dear Higher Power - give me the patience of a saint while we both are traveling the highways and byways together in our small allocated space and stop me from the urge of taking over the driving or pushing him out of the car so I have alone time. Thank you.
I feel your pain; BTDT, for over 20 years. Advice: negotiate time for you to drive. You're used to being in charge of something, you'll need to be in charge of something for at least some of the time. I learned that it's important for both people in the car to be in charge of something. I also learned to say to him, I NEED SOME TIME ALONE and he learned to respect that -- I'd go off for a walk, or go eat by myself, etc.


Well-Known Member
I disagree. I think that kvetching, properly applied, may well help the PTB know what needs fixing and help them get it fixed faster. IMO, the old DF didn't work all that well, when it was first implemented, either. It took time -- IIRC, quite some time -- before lessons were learned, necessary features were put in place, opportunities for improvement were identified and stuff got fixed.

I think it's important (for at least me) to remember that this software change wasn't done on a whim and that it was actually necessary. The old version of DF, from what I understand, was seriously obsolescent. It wasn't really a matter of choosing whether to change; change was going to have to happen in any case. The only questions were when to change and what type of software to change to.

It's kind of like replacing an old car. You know the car is dying. So the choices are how long to hold out before buying a new car and whether to buy a make of car similar to the one you already have or whether to try something completely different. At some point, whether or not to buy a new car is moot. A new car shall be bought, like it or not.


Well-Known Member
AM routine.

8:20--Drop off Child.

9:10--ENG 1101. Quoting vs. paraphrasing. Practiced paraphrasing. I gave them a really challenging paragraph to paraphrase. Mwahaha.

10:20--GLC. Discussed masculinity in the British 1950s and Ian Fleming's Goldfinger.

Lunch and then grading. Today's goal was to grade 6 3-4 page ENG 1101 essays and I accomplished that.
I also sent some necessary e-mails to sort out things for a lecture I'm responsible for organizing.
Talked with a colleague whose husband still lives in Ithaca and is coming for the weekend. I let her know the wine festival is this weekend, if they are looking for ideas.


5:30-7:30--Pot luck at Child's school. I hadn't necessarily felt in the mood for this, but it was pretty nice. And Child is so delightfully nice to other kids. She played a lot with the younger sister of the girl who cyberbullied her this summer, a 2nd grader. (Child is in 5th.) You could tell the 2nd grader felt really special that this 5th grade girl wanted to play with her. According to Husband, Child also made sure that all the kids put the things they took out of the supply shed back at the end of the evening (e.g., hippity-hops, balls, etc.)

Finished reading The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey w/Child.

Read some of Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her and wrote in diary.


Well-Known Member
Today was a "get stuff done" kind of day. I was at work by 9 AM.
-Graded 6 essays.
-Submitted a paper proposal to a conference.
Home around 1:30. Lunch.

-Changed cat litter box. (Takes all of 3 mins, but no one's fav household task!)

Spent some time with Child before she left to go to sleepover at friend's house.

-Put in 5.5 miles in 1 hr on treadmill. Finished reading Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her while I did. Showered.
-Booked hotel for OSB!

Then, just fun stuff: writing in diary, reading, a little dance practice.


Well-Known Member
Yesterday was a seriously weird day. We were doing some house projects; brother-in-law was here and was milling some door thresholds that my DW wanted, while I was doing some repairs. There was a board on the deck that was curling up at the ends, and I had to go through my disorderely stash of lumber and straighten it all out before I found a replacement board long enough. I had promised myself that I was going to drink a couple of beers after I finished that, but after I finished that and I went to unplug the saw, I noticed that the electrical outlet had pulled loose from its box. Oh, well; fix that and then I'll have lunch and drink my beer.

I knew that that outlet was on a circuit that was protected by a ground-fault interrupter in the utility room. I went in there and pressed the test button on the GFI to trip it, and then I went to work on the loose outlet. It needed a longer screw to hold it in the box. Found one, fixed that, went to reset the GFI. I pressed the reset button and it popped back out. Pressed it again; heard an ugly arcing noise inside the GFI, and it popped again. After that, it would not reset. Well, heck. As luck would have it, all of the cable TV and Internet routing gear is on that circuit. Beer will have to wait.

So I go dig up a spare GFI, turn off the circuit at the breaker, and set about replacing the failed GFI. Those things are always exasperating to install, and it takes me about half an hour. By this time I'm hungry, and I go to grab some lunch, thinking that I'll treat myself to that beer after.

I finish lunch and wander in the den to see what football games are on before I go grab a beer. The phone rings and my DW answer it. I hear her breath catch and then she says "Oh no!" Clearly something is not right. It's our son's girlfriend. He has been in a wreck and she says he is having memory problems and is very agitated. He has lost his memory that his son, our grandson, died back in the spring and he wants to know where he is.

We quickly throw clothes on and jump in the car, telling the brother-in-law to lock the house when he leaves. I drive like a bat out of hell over to our son's apartment. My wife convinces him to go to the hospital with us. It's getting worse; he doesn't remember having gone to to work that morning and he can't figure out why he has work clothes on. He also doesn't remember what month it is. (Although he knows what football game he wanted to watch in the afternoon... go figure.) The four of us pile in the car and I do something I've never done before: I drive with the emergency flashers on, running red lights and going waaaaay over the speed limit. I figure that if a cop sees me, he'll just have to chase me to the ER. Hit traffic, make turns, use back roads, get to the hospital. They've moved the ER again since the last time I had occasion to be there, some years ago. I make a guess and drive around to the other side of the building, and I guess right.

We stop at the ER door and I jump out and tell the attendant that we have someone with a head injury. They get him in a wheelchair and DW and girlfriend go in with him while I park the car. By the time I get back down there, they have managed to get the info and fill out the forms (fortunately, girlfriend thought to grab his wallet and get his insurance card). We sit for a about five minutes and they call him in for triage. I notice that they have taken him ahead of some other people who were already there. DW and I watch the door of the triage room, while girlfriend goes in with him. Twenty minutes later they open the door and he's not there -- the room has a door to a back hallway, and they've taken him for a CAT scan.

Hours pass. Girlfriend comes and tells us they have taken him to a room. Apparently they administered something to him to reduce the brain swelling that he must have been experiencing. A bit later she comes back. The CAT scan is negative for skull fractures; the swelling is coming and and his memory is starting to return. Another hour later, and they discharge him with prescriptions. We drive him and GF back to their place; he's doing better by the time we get there. GF got him settled and then went out and got his prescriptions filled.

It was dark by the time we got home. Our son calls later and says he's doing better. We heard from him again this morning; he has a hell of a headache and still has little memory of anything that happened yesterday before the CAT scan. We don't know why he wasn't taken to the hospital after the accident. Apparently the tow truck driver recognized that he had a head injury, made him call his GF, and stayed with him until she showed up. The police gave him a tick for not having insurance, even though he does; apparently he couldn't remember if he had insurance or not after the accident. We're going to get an accident report next week, and if I find out that the police didn't call an ambulance, I'm going to be speaking to the city council about it.


Site Moderator
Staff member
doing today now as my pillow is calling...

wake having slept 11 hours...could have slept has been a long, fun, yet eshausting two days...

other than changing the litter boxand making tacos for son, I have been pretty much horisontal the entire day...what started as very bad seasonal allergies, seems to be morphing into a fairly respectable cold

Dance Ads