yesterday's activities

cornutt

The thing I forgot to put in at the end is that it was amazing, after I thought about it later, that all of those little things conspired against me ever getting to the beer. Had I drank, I would not have been in shape to do all of that crazy driving, and if we had gotten him to the hospital much later than we did, I'm not sure how it would have turned out.

3wishes

Yesterday, gee it's only ohhhh 104 degrees instead of 111.
Call from DH driving with DS,,they made it to Austin (acutally Hutto) but grandkids are jumping all over their "uncle" cause, according to them, he's more fun.. lol.
Clean out stuff, stuff and more stuff.
Re-organize guest room, entry way, coat closet, grandson's hang out room.....the totally toss and give-away mode is in full blown effort.
Miss classes at studio, if I don't finish this - it will never get finished.
FINALLY, mop hardwood floors,,,,trash is in the trash,,,donations dropped off....ahhhhhhh
the entire house feels lighter!
Put feet up at 6:30 p.m with a sparkling water, look around,,,and smile......it took me all day
but sooooo worth it.
Won't DH be surprised...hahahahaha. That his coats are actually in the coat closet for the first
time in 30 years. :)

pygmalion

The thing I forgot to put in at the end is that it was amazing, after I thought about it later, that all of those little things conspired against me ever getting to the beer. Had I drank, I would not have been in shape to do all of that crazy driving, and if we had gotten him to the hospital much later than we did, I'm not sure how it would have turned out.

Oh my goodness, cornutt! Not sure what to say. I am glad you never got that beer. I am glad your son is doing better. And yeah. You're right. That was a very weird day. I dunno. It's amazing how, sometimes, the stars just seem to align so that everything is in the right place when it needs to be there.

I have to admit that I got a little chuckle out of your decision that any state troopers would have to chase you to the ER. As a parent, I can certainly identify with that. All the demons of hades wouldn't be able to get between me and my son's well-being. What's a little ol state trooper? Pssh.

Please check in and let us know how is is, when you get a chance. :cool:

pygmalion

Ah. Now I see how the double posts are happening. Headed over to the forum software thread to kvetch. *grin*

@sagitta: See how useful the word kvetch can be? Absolutely priceless! lol.

pygmalion

Yesterday, gee it's only ohhhh 104 degrees instead of 111.
Call from DH driving with DS,,they made it to Austin (acutally Hutto) but grandkids are jumping all over their "uncle" cause, according to them, he's more fun.. lol.
Clean out stuff, stuff and more stuff.
Re-organize guest room, entry way, coat closet, grandson's hang out room.....the totally toss and give-away mode is in full blown effort.
Miss classes at studio, if I don't finish this - it will never get finished.
FINALLY, mop hardwood floors,,,,trash is in the trash,,,donations dropped off....ahhhhhhh
the entire house feels lighter!
Put feet up at 6:30 p.m with a sparkling water, look around,,,and smile......it took me all day
but sooooo worth it.
Won't DH be surprised...hahahahaha. That his coats are actually in the coat closet for the first
time in 30 years. :)
Why do I get the feeling that you're going to be a force to be reckoned with, when you get into full retirement mode? Hmm? *grin*

pygmalion

Saturday:

Spend day making still more training materials. Never too much. Just kidding! Actually. Never too customized. The chick who sets the training schedule changes it every time. The length of time allotted changes every time. The training philosophy changes every time. The mix of people in the class changes every time. So is it any wonder that I spend training time behind the eight ball, struggling to keep folks engaged? I enjoy the heck out of myself though.

Other angst-inducing experiences better left behind the curtain of "this is the internet, so better not said, lest I hear about it from a complete stranger later." lol. I'm a slow learner, but I do get it, eventually.

Sunday:

Make puppets!!! Gigantic yay and SO MUCH FUN. DS teaches me to use a glue gun. I teach DS a couple of hand sewing stitches. It's groovy.

This also leads to a discussion of the role of women in certain societies. The puppets are for pre-AP geography, and DS has been assigned to make characters representing a Muslim country. We create a Dad, and Granddad and a little girl. It's when I insist that we go to Joanne's for black broadcloth to make a burqa and hijab for Mom that the conversation gets interesting.

This also triggers a memory from childhood, when I borrowed the exact same book about the art of puppetry every other week for YEARS. I fantasized about making puppets and having puppet shows. BUT I had a twin sister who thought my ideas were dumb. AND I lived in a family that encouraged twins to be the same person in two bodies. So I never did pursue puppet-making as a hobby. Yesterday, I discovered that it's not too late. This may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Other than that, not much.

Watched all four Indiana Jones movies. (Still can't figure out what they were thinking, with the second movie. What a piece of junk!) Helped DS with French homework. I realized that the French he is being taught is much less formal than the French I was taught in high school. I think this is a good thing. Bought school supplies on clearance. Say what you will. One can never have enough colored pencils. Adapted a couple of recipes to crock pot cooking. One success. One epic fail. *shrug* Ordered the Malcolm X book from Amazon. Watched Tony Robbins sit in for Piers Morgan. I love his public speaking style but am not much of a fan of his interviewing style. But whatev.

All in all, a good weekend. I cannot complain.

ChaChaMama

OMG, cornutt! That sounds like an absolutely terrifying day. I'm so glad your son seems to have turned the corner. You definitely get the SUPER-DAD cape for your quick and instinctive reactions. Yikes, yikes, yikes!!!

3wishes

Yesterday, up early, like oh dark my goodness early.
Decide, I'm not dealing with the heat, yards today.
I can tell, the Santa Ana winds are up, even at 5:30 a.m. it's a warm warm wind.
Head outside with pruners, turf builder with weed control, hose, mulch.
Spray the poor lawn that screamed "help me" under that obpressive heat wave this past week.
Clip back lavendar that has bolted.
Deal out Basil leaves to neighbors from my back yard - love the smell of basil.
Hard prune back the butterfly bushes.
Feed the roses.
Mulch backyard.
Rinse out wine cooler.
YES! Done before "heat" sets in.
Head out to Bed Bath and Beyond. Finally find a silverware organizer that fits my drawer space.
Purchase a few new cooking essentials and small items.
Note...a huge huge black and white photo of Hwy 395 leadning to snow covered Mt. Whitney.
Debate with self - "buy it? leave it? where would I put it?" Great photo.
Head home, clean out fridge, freezer and pantry.
Feeling good about state of house and yards, make plans for big yard sale in November.
Call from pro - chit chat - lots of laughter.
Pull out champaign bottles from chiller to fridge - getting ready for retirement party~!
Husband calls, dropped DS off at Austin airport, believes DS is a sucker for twin nieces and nephew.
Pooring rain in Tx
DH asked "what was your day like?" secret smile for myself - reply "oh, nothing really".
lol, snicker.

Sagitta

sat...wasted trip to gym....cubs game, dinner at harry careys with friends... visit with son....out cold
How can any gym trip be wasted? Just the act of going meant something. It all starts with not going once, and then the next time it is easier to skip. But, then you exercise so much that this probably does not apply to you. ;)

Sagitta

It is great how things work out. All those cliched sayings, such as "what happened was meant to be" do have some truth. They are reasons why they have been used so much. I'm really happy that everything turned out well for your son, health wise. And good luck on the ticket issue.

j_alexandra

<puts on cranky hat> Wrote a long post detailing, excruciatingly, the past week. Clicked "post reply". Server did not respond. Poof! Gone! Yes, I know I can write my deathless prose, copy it to the clipboard, save it, and have it available just in case the server does not respond and my post disappears. This is an unnecessary duplication of effort. <removes cranky hat and posts this also in the appropriate forum>

So, the Monarch Notes version of my life since whenever I last posted:
Airport runs to drop off/pick up family members
gyro, rolfing, lessons, theater
Celebratory dinner for father's 92nd birthday
Unexpected pleasure of an evening of good talk with a friend who has moved far away and arrived here unexpectedly
More marital metadiscussions, which did not culminate in deploying blunt objects, for which I am patting myself on the back *repeatedly*
Social dancing
Dinner in the city with friends from way, way, waaaaaaay out of town; wandered through Greenwich Village with them, fountain playing, musicians doing their thing, Street Theater up the wazoo; they, as tourists, were delighted

Peaches

new DF software has issues. I'm sure everyone's noticed by now. Kvetching will change nothing, I know, but... just sayin'.
Agreed.

While I agree with Pyg that specific, target kvetching can provide useful feedback which will help to improve the site overall...kvetch kvetch kvetch. I understand it's a work in progress, I understand that complaining without constructive criticism is useless and annoying. (It's a good part of my job to do just that, so I get the process. I really do.) Doesn't mean I have to embrace the change.

...aaaaand this is why I'm known as the wet blanket at work... ;-)

pygmalion

Agreed.

While I agree with Pyg that specific, target kvetching can provide useful feedback which will help to improve the site overall...kvetch kvetch kvetch. I understand it's a work in progress, I understand that complaining without constructive criticism is useless and annoying. (It's a good part of my job to do just that, so I get the process. I really do.) Doesn't mean I have to embrace the change.

...aaaaand this is why I'm known as the wet blanket at work... ;-)

Among other places. *ducks and runs* :D

Yep. The old DF was as comfortable as an old shoe -- like my beloved Bandolino black patent leather pumps that looked like stilettos and felt like sneakers ... and that were literally (Yes, P. I do mean literally, and not in the annoyingly hyperbolic use of the word ...) uh ... literally falling apart before I finally retired them.

I get it, and the need for a good kvetch. But there's no going back, so may as well make the best of it.

That being said, if I lose or double-post one more long post, I am going to be really mad. *pouty pout, stompity-stomp.* :p

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
doing today now as I think it is going to be pretty uneventful hereafter....

participate in 8 oclock class, then teach 9 oclock step....took most of the first class just to loosen up...head home, eat lunch, crash out again...cannot get enough sleep these days...do some laundry and dishes, order some material for my fitness association ceus...
set up some appointments for engaged couples and schedule the Fall grief support series....expecting a quiet evening with dh which has not happened since...well....August

cornutt

Thanks everybody. DW talked to him this morning. He's doing better; he now remembers being at work on Saturday, but he has no memory of leaving work or anything after that until he was in the CAT scan machine at the hospital. He got the police report today, and according to it, he had the green light and someone turning right on red pulled out in front of him. Also, he refused treatment at the scene. He went to see his truck today and he says it's probably totalled. Bad break, but it could have been a lot worse.

pygmalion

Nothing much today except one slightly sobering note.

I mentioned that the boy and I spent yesterday making puppets. Probably about six hours of work, all told, between prototyping, learning lessons, correcting, costume design, etc. Well ya know. it cost some money as well. Not all that much -- maybe fifty bucks, including the big ticket items -- socks (DS and i don't wear crew socks. We wear no-show socks. So I had to buy crew socks -- tan, to be the right skin color) glue gun, meltable glue sticks, yarn, etc.

DS was assigned to make two puppets; another kid in his study group was supposed to make another two. Just for kicks and because we were having so much fun, DS and I made four puppets. I figured we could play with them later. (And i will but that's another story.)

When DS got to school today, the other kid hadn't done the assignment. He couldn't afford to buy the supplies.

This is why hate having DS in an exemplary school in a mostly well-heeled neighborhood. Teachers sometimes don't think about the hardship they may be imposing on some of their students. Yeah. I could and I did go buy random stuff so DS's puppets would be cute and culturally accurate. This other kid knowingly chose to skip doing a group assignment, just three weeks into the school year, because he couldn't afford it.

Puppets are a cute and imaginative idea, but, no kid should be placed in that position. My $0.02.

pygmalion

Thanks everybody. DW talked to him this morning. He's doing better; he now remembers being at work on Saturday, but he has no memory of leaving work or anything after that until he was in the CAT scan machine at the hospital. He got the police report today, and according to it, he had the green light and someone turning right on red pulled out in front of him. Also, he refused treatment at the scene. He went to see his truck today and he says it's probably totalled. Bad break, but it could have been a lot worse.

Oh my gosh! Oh. Thanks for checking in.

Dance Ads