yesterday's activities

danceronice

Felt like time was wasted, know it's partially finishing up the drugs and once they're out of my system I will feel much much better. Mildly annoyed by it being a holiday so can't go dog-shopping at the shelter the next county over.

Called studio because Indiana Challenge entries are screwed up (put in another round of Rhythm or give me a partial refund. Need to call again to make sure this gets done so I'm not having to cause problems AT the comp. I do not like driving for a single style, single round, single multi-dance.)

Purr

The withdrawal isn't the problem if you're on high doses as much as the side effects of just being on it. I'm not on REMOTELY as high a dose for as long a time as I have been before (which included infusions and IM shots and long-term 200mg doses)--now it's just severe stomach pain (like heartburn), uncontrolled appetite, mood swings, muscle pain, nausea, predisposition to infections (because it's an imunosuppressant) and general malaise.
I was recently on this, and I'm never taking it again. The side effects were too bad.

ChaChaMama

MONDAY--or the day that tried to kick my butt.

7:15-7:45--Grading one last paper!

Get ready and go to work.

9:10-10:10--ENG 1101. Give them a serious talking to re: showing up at draft conference with a draft. I make it clear "I'm not mad at you in any way, but if you show up with one paragraph, I'm not going to have much to say."
Multi-pronged thesis essay.
Ironically, one sample thesis was on the evils of caffeine. Oh, I beg to differ.

10:20-11:20--GREAT WORKS II. A dozen guests, so we've got a full house! Frankenstein discussion. Goes 100x better than the last one. Yay students!

11:30-12:30--Lunch break and start a letter of recommendation.

12:40-2:10--Three 1/2 hour Senior Sem individual appts...except first is no show. Keep working on letter of recommendation for a freshman. #2 was great. #3 needs a lot of work, and I pushed him hard, while still trying to be encouraging. This project needed some tough love.

2:15--Appt with a GWII student.
2:45--Appt with an advisee who is currently taking both ASL (which she loves!) and Spanish (about which she is lukewarm). She wants to drop Spanish. We weigh pros and cons.

3:45--Academic Planning Committee meets with External Reviewers.

4:30-5:30--Me and the Assistant Director for First Year Seminars meet with External Reviewers. To say that there were some questions I had not anticipated would be fair. Wow. The guy is pushing me to think harder about vision. But even though I felt like a fool because I was thinking on my feet, I actually think this meeting will be enormously helpful to me moving forward. I think it had not occurred to me until this meeting that I have a real opportunity here to be a leader.

Home, exhausted. Catch up with my family. My sister visited during the day and I didn't get to see her at all. Apparently her dog and our dog had a good old time together, and she went out to lunch with my child and husband.
Husband is cleared for surgery: no fever, blood pressure fine, etc.
We watch the second half of "Quantum of Solace." I am a little concerned that I found the plot of this movie more confusing than many works of high modernism. Was I not paying enough attention or was this an odd flick?

Haul self back to campus.

7:30-10--Graduate class: The Modern World. We discussed Candide.

APPROXIMATE HOURS OF WORK TODAY: 11.0. Which given that it included Voltaire, Shelley, a proposal on Keats' reaction to the literary marketplace, a Marxist/deconstructionist proposal on an objectivist poet, and a meeting in which I was really pushed by two senior administrators from other schools, is quite enough, thank you very much. I slept well!

pygmalion

another series my son knows by heart

I recently caught an episode on reruns in which the guys are looking for someone to replace Sheldon as a team mate in some sort of a quiz/game show. (Because, of course, Sheldon's intense belief in his own mental superiority makes him think that he can be a team unto himself. )

One of the guys (Howard. maybe?) suggests getting, "that girl who played Blossom. I heard she has a PhD in ..." And of course, not long after that episode, who shows up in character as Sheldon's oh so peculiar love interest? That girl who played Blossom, Mayim Bialik, who really did get a PhD in something or the other that I forget.

That's the kind of joke only TBBT could get away with. Love it.

3wishes

I LOVE the Big Bang Theory. LOVE IT...dare I say,,,I actually had a circle of friends just like that in the ol' high school gang. Good Lord. Sheldon Cooper and Amy Farrah Fowler...what a hoot.
Went to California Open over the weekend.
Shot a ton of photo/candids - which the Pro(s) never had before, as well as student dancers.
And they had a blast shooting the pictures all over the hotel. "this could be more fun than actually being on the floor"
Sidenote - we have some really playful fun long term married couples...that are absolutely great to hang out with.
Develope prints, post pics, laugh alot Monday night as everyone reviewed their shots.
Discuss the comp, upcoming social events, getting together with others on calendar.
Go to Doctor office for results of bone scan. Ok, this is not good, he's never called me in before and I've had these things done for years.
Come out of his office, a bit stunned. actually really stunned. "high risk of fracture"...man oh man...my brain says to self...
Great, just great, now what, cause apparently the supplements are no longer keeping osteroporatic me in check.
Doc discusses,,,all of my activity, exercise, the kind of exercise...he promises to review the best bone density therapy for me...but suggests I start Yoga and some other alternative things as well.
Have long talk with myself in car.
Head to double lesson with pro...things go well except for the crazy arm position in VWaltz-smooth...I almost wack him in the nose with elbow several times.
Sweating bullets by the time the lessons are over...but it feels really good as the cold rain starts again.
Dear Husband, planning Washington D.C. trip...for business...with dear son. He LOVES D.C. and all the museums and history and and and and...while I try to stay away from it.
We chat about heading to Oregon and Powell Book Store in the Pearl District, possibly our Oregon daughter will let us take the kids out of school for the day and play hookey. We hope.
DD in Texas askes if I can come for 3 weeks in March. uhhhhhhhh...huh? what? She's quite happy to be in school, I feel, completing her teacher certificate for Texas and becoming full time regular teacher as soon as she's done.
We have long talk...I'm relieved,,,she now has time with her children instead of 60 hour work week with Target.
Start shopping for a new smooth dress, cruising the internet....ahhhhhh...NOW this is nice!
DH surprises me at end of evening,,,,he's paid for a months worth of lessons up front....wink!
YES!

danceronice

Ooh, nothing like newly sharpened skates. I felt kind of awful skating, and my leg cramp is I suspect not a leg cramp but some kind of inflammation, so instead of skating today, time to rest it. Starve the dogs day as they had to go into the vet this morning, so no food after six, no water after eleven, and they were very puzzled why no treats before bed.

ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
9-11--Office hours. Relatively peaceful. An advisee popped in and stayed for a long chat.

11:30-1--Academic Planning Committee. One issue before us brought out some more of the dirty laundry from one of the three most dysfunctional departments on campus. Without going into any specifics, that is some screwed up stuff. I know people have tenure and all, but does that really give a person full license to behave like a jerk? The powers that be were in the room and got to hear some of us opine that it should not.

1--Worked on conference paper.

2:35--Briefly home. Set timer for 10 minutes. Husband tries to talk to me and I'm like "I literally have TEN minutes. I need to be out the door when that timer goes off." We postpone talking until later. Pack a sandwich, fruit, cookies for dinner.

3--Picked up Child.
3:12--Dropped off Child at house and drove immediately back to campus.
3:26--Back in time!!!! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Super Working Mom! (Ugh!)
3:30--Debriefing meeting from External Reviewers.

5-8:30--Child at dance. I finished reading Will in the World.

9--Home. So tired. Catch up with husband. Put Child to bed.

Wanted to write in diary, but had almost no energy. Started reading new book, Roseanne Montillo's The Lady and Her Monsters.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Lady-Her-Monsters-Frankensteins/dp/0062025813

Peaches

Today is mostly done, so...

Up, etc. Get to train station and realize its colder out than I thought. Bugger.

Work on stuff. Train NPC, who will be conducting training in lieu of me. He isn't happy. Tough. He is, technically, an analyst equal to me on this so it's time for him to pull his bloody weight.

All-hands meeting. Mostly I eventful, oddly. Director does talk about her support and encouragement of temporary duty assignments within the division. Immediately pigeon-hole acting boss and ask her about how I 1) get onto committees with leadership potential, and 2)how to get a detail. No more sitting back and doing what has been assigned; time to be a p.i.t.a. to get what I want. Sorry, boss. She is most supportive. I has gots me a plan!

Stuff. Don't remember what, other than calming programmer and commiserating about Stuff.

Home. Wine. Movie. Bed now. Sleep soon.

pygmalion

Reminds me of the movie, Working Girl. Have you seen it, P? Probably not, since you were knee high to a grass hopper when it came out. :D In that movie, Melanie Griffith's character is vindicated when her boss who always takes credit for her ideas suddenly has to defend/explain the stolen ideas to the big boss. If your NPC is going to get promoted by claiming 99% of the credit for the work on your project, then let him dig deep and do the training or fall flat on his face when he can't. His problem, not yours.

Plus, as an added bonus, you don't have to go to Cincy this time. :)

pygmalion

I should probably add that, if your NPC had actually been doing the work you were doing, he wouldn't need to be trained. If your bosses have a clue, they should be able to see that.

ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
8:20--Drop off.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debates on two topics for next set of papers:
-Do the TSA's security procedures keep up safe without violating our rights?
-Should talking/texting while driving be illegal in all fifty states?

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Communist Manifesto.

Lunch break.

12:40-2:10--3 half-hour Senior Seminar appointments.

2:15--Great Works II student stops by with her essay in progress. I critique.

3--Pick up Child.

Some downtime. Yes, that's right: downtime! That has been sorely lacking the last couple days. I even manage to lie down for 10 minutes.

Also put out a FB call for help transporting Child to her activities next week due to Husband's surgery.

6:25--Leave a little early with Child for dance, as planning to get gas.
Problem: the gas station I stop at has ALL PUMPS DOWN. And there is not another gas station on this side of the road. And the road I have to turn out to go to the studio is 10 miles with no gas stations (or businesses of any kind). Have to wait forever for the light to turn (we have complicated traffic lights which only let one direction go at a time making left and U-turns because the roads aren't at perfect right angles) to make a &%^$# U-Turn, head back the wrong way, and get gas.

Child and I are bickering a little and she says "I don't get it. Why is it important to you if I am on time to my dance lesson?" I totally lost it at this point. Way to be appreciative, kid! Fight escalates. I eventually propose we do NOT talk because we are both pushing each other's buttons too much.

7-8--Ballet.
I calm down in car and read.

Drive home. Discuss went wrong on the drive to dance.

Home. Child bath and to bed.

I'm pretty beat, so even though I had some things I wanted to get down tonight, they get put off until the next day.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
wed...tan, buy cat food, teach interval, have a sandwich, drive to Northwestern, eat lunch wit dtr, spend entire day shopping (in honor of her birthday)....I am exhausted (9hours of intensive physical exercise in three days and now trapsing around in the cold to shop...which I hate), but she is having a delightful time and she is my baby....drive her back to school....sit in rush hour traffic for 2 and 1/2 hours....home to feed pets and stare blankly at laptop....kiss dh when he gets home....and off to bed I go with a messy house, a messy car and a comp tomorrow

Dance Ads