Zorse or Hebra?

Pacion

:? I wonder whether how much of this new creation was 'accidental' or deliberate on the part of scientists...

Meet Eclyse - the amazing zebra crossing
It was more a case of a zebra cross breeding than a zebra crossing when this stunning animal was born in a German zoo.

Meet Eclyse, the result of a relationship between a zebra and a horse, who's celebrating its first birthday at Safariepark Zoo in the city of Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock.

The distinctive 'zorse' - which could just as accurately have been christened a 'hebra' - has fast become one of the zoo's most popular attractions, capturing the imagination of park visitors.
While most zebra-horse cross-breeds sport stripes across their entire body, Eclyse only has two such patches on its face and rear.

Eclyse has earnt its stripes as one of the zoo's main attractions

:? I wonder whether how much of this new creation was 'accidental' or deliberate on the part of scientists...
It looks more like a 'chimera' than a cross. A chimera is when you take two cells from different strains and make one animal - the results is a mixture of each depending on the parental origin of the stem cell that contributed to that region. In a cross each cell is 50% from the male or from female, in a chimera each cell is either from the male of the female.

It looks more like a 'chimera' than a cross. A chimera is when you take two cells from different strains and make one animal - the results is a mixture of each depending on the parental origin of the stem cell that contributed to that region. In a cross each cell is 50% from the male or from female, in a chimera each cell is either from the male of the female.
so a clone is just a special case of a chimera?

so a clone is just a special case of a chimera?
Not really. Chimaeras are a mix of cells from two different organisms, with different genetic makeups. (All women who have ever been pregnant are chimaeras as they have fetal cells floating around, even decades after the pregnancy.)

Clones are created by taking the nucleus from a body cell and using it to replace the regular nucleus from an egg cell. Both of the original cells can be from the same animal, and all of the cells in the body of the clone have the genetic makeup of the original nuclear donor cell.

Peaches

Ditto.

What a cute little critter. I wonder how big it will get. It definitely seems to have more zebra-ish features than horse...excepting the stripey bits, of course.

I want one.

Ditto.

What a cute little critter. I wonder how big it will get. It definitely seems to have more zebra-ish features than horse...excepting the stripey bits, of course.

I want one.

Hmmm. trhink of the marketing possibilities 'my little zork'. Only trouble is you might get sued by Battlestar Galactica for alien infringement

Dance Ads